Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC powers down when playing Black Ops

• Please log in to reply

Johnhy H

Johnhy H

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have a EVGA MB 680i SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX,
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB vidoe card,
Intel core2 duo e6700 2.67 CPU,
4 gig OCZ DDR2 800 mhz,
Coolmax 550wt PSU.
System 3.5 yrs old.

I blew out the case, checked the fans, removed the heatsink, cleaned the heatsink, put back together (with thermal compound of course), upgraded the video card driver. currently the CPU is at 54 degrees C, and the video card is at 53 degrees C. Both are about 20 degrees cooler now than before. Never had a problem playing COD 4, but since I installed Black Ops it has been dragging/lagging/freeze,even in SAFE MODE, and then it would shut down. Now it wont even load with powering down. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I had the EVGA 680i and sold it and now I have the 780i....Great boards
Did you try to reset the cmos? Pull the cmos battery before resetting it.
try and pull the video card out and reseat it.
Can you get into bios? if so check the voltage on the 12 volt rail.
make sure no wires are grounding out on the case
pull all the ram out except for one stick
pull out the sound card and pull the power from the cd / dvd drive and HD and try to start
if you can, swap out the psu with a known good one.
One other thing to try is to remove the video card and see if it runs without shutting down
the 780i that i have has a safety feature built in that protects the mobo by shutting it down if there is a hardware problem.

Johnhy H

Johnhy H

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks D-Berd.