Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent booting problem with XP home

• Please log in to reply

ray r

ray r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok manually started Xp with a clean boot will comtinue to use and see if problem persists and get back to you.

Once again many Thanks for all your help.

Ray

Advertisements

ray r

ray r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok done as advised and problem is still occuring, although it does seem to be less frequent.

have run winaudit as rquested and file is attached, hope I have done it correctly.

Edited by ray r, 03 December 2010 - 11:48 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is going to take hours to go through this WinAudit. Before I start, please assure me that you will be prepared to follow my advice.
I do not mean of course - blindly follow my advice - if there is anything you strongly disagree with obviously we must discuss it.
However on many occasions, people spend hours helping to then just receive the response that the poster will leave the matter to seek advice elsewhere. Obviously this is disappointing.

I have already found one or two matters that need attention.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 December 2010 - 10:22 AM.

ray r

ray r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
More than happy to folow advice given and many Thanks for your time and assistance.

Ray

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You have I think two problems.
Obviously until we eliminate what I consider to be the main one, I cannot assure you that this is the problem, but certainly the procedure that follows will only serve to make the system better.

Problems
1. A 2.93 Ghz processor with only 448Mb - most likely two 256 or one 512 of ram. You cannot successfully run XP SP3 and all your installed software with that amount of ram. I am NOT saying that it will NOT run, but it will not run successfully. I would recommend you give serious consideration to increasing ram.

2. The following matters need your attention

a. ConnectGov5 updater - software informer - an unnecessary use of resources. If you look at the providers you will see that they do not even have their own website. Personally it clearly does NOTHING that can not be done just as efficiently using other provided utilities.

b. getPlus® - part of Adobe, an unnecessary bloat to their installation and actually selectable as a choice to install or not.

c. Google Update Helper - not required. When you go back to normal boot. On IE Tools, Manage add-ons disable it . When you get chance uninstall it.

d. Ipod Apple for Windows - If you do not use it Uninstall it.

e. Update your Java - I see some aspects of it are in need of this.

f. NOKIA all installations - If you have no use of this uninstall - so many people download Nokia or some other mobile then change their mobile and never uninstall.

g. CyberLink - Power Cinema 4 - If you do not use it uninstall it.

h. Sonic - My DVD - installed 2005 no doubt when the computer was sold. If of course Sonic is your burning software you will need it - if not uninstall

i. Shockwave Director 9 - Update.

j. Talk Talk Assist and Go - if no longer needed - uninstall

k. Tesco Download Manager - as above

l. Windows LIVE - This is offered as an automatic non critical update. If you do not use WINDOWS Live it is an unnecessary resource hogger - uninstall it all

m. Real Player Version 12 - new version is 14 - always install the new version, as they are usually only updated to get rid of bugs. If it is not used uninstall it.

n. Real UPgrade 1.1. RealNetworks - This appears to be simply some form of upgrade advisor - it is not conected with Realtek - check if needed.

o. Safari - browser - if not used uninstall

p. Samsung the whole installation - check this out you will be amazed how much is installed. If you do not use Samsung - uninstall the lot.

I am not suggesting that any of these programs are in any way dangerous or even slightly risky, they are of course with just one or two exception very well tried and tested. However - there is no point in having installed programs that are not used.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 December 2010 - 06:59 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re the ram if you decide to follow that course - here is the Packard Bell site link
Simply select your desktop model, it may be to the right on Legacy products and then if available insert your assest tag from the win audit or your serial number and you should get the answer as to what you can have. I would think 2Gb.
You have 512 as the 64Mb for the graphics makes the 448 shown.

Alternatively go here. - they have a number of sites, ship more or less worldwide and the advanatage is that if their scanner gets it wrong, replacement is without question. There are cheaper places to buy ram, but cheap unbranded ram is not always the best idea.

http://www.crucial.c...0101203185303:s

A lot more to exmaine on Win Audit, I am having a break for a couple of hours, leave it with you for the time being.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 December 2010 - 12:54 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NEVER NEVER install this on a computer ir is unwanted unrequired and frequently dangerous to the health of the computer.

Removed TuneUp Utilities 2011

You may have removed it, the question is what damage it did?

ray r

ray r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok thank you, I am present uninstalling many of the programmes that you list, however some are not shown in the "add remove programme list" for example no reference to any nokia programmes, where do I find them to uninstall them, How do I go about updating the other programmes you mention.

also a additional 256mb of memory was added a couple of years ago will this already be included in your calculation.

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
According to Win Audit you have 448Mb 64Mb is for your graphics making 512.
Go Start, right click My Computer on the general tab it will show your ram. OR alternatively use the Crucial scanner. However I can more or less assure you that you have two sticks of 256Mb and you could have two sticks of I would think 1Gb.

Check on your drive, program, for Nokia OR Start, Search and enter on C drive, for files and folder - containing Nokia

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 December 2010 - 02:34 PM.

ray r

ray r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Additional memory was added by PC world a couple of years ago, it was PNY technologies 256MB. Would that be included in this figure ?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I can only repeat what I said in my last post 24.

Re Nokia - it appears to be fragments left over from the installation, when it was uninstalled. Usually caused by either NOT uninstalling using the programs uninstaller if provided.
Leave it for the time being.
As there are more important matters
See this later at your convenience
http://europe.nokia....ite&cat=support

Here it is on your computer
| Name | PC Connectivity Solution |
| Vendor | Nokia |
| Version | 8.15.0.0 |
| Product Language | English |
| Install Date | 20091226 |
| Install Location | C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 December 2010 - 03:06 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you prepared the WinAudit file you had this
Memory

-------------------------------
| Item | Value |
| Total Memory | 448MB |
| Free Memory | 98MB |
| Maximum Swap File | 1052MB |
| Free Swap File | 725MB |
Your system JUST cannot run efficiently on 98Mb of free ram.
It is constantly using hard drive space as ram.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Did PM you - back at 2200 UK time.
If you have gone pls leave a post and I will see you tomorrow.

ray r

ray r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ran the crucial scanner and that agrees with what you say, I think there must have been 256mb originally installed and then a further 256mb added later. It recommends upgrading to a 2Gb total by removing the 2 X 256mb and replacing by 2 X 1Gb, I will give this some serious consideration.

Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well.I can definitely tell you that with 2Gb you would think it was a different computer.
Unless you specifically asked for another 256 - when it was upgraded 2 yrs ago, it was not tthe best idea, as it does not require matched capacity sticks and the cost of 1Gb or whatever is not 4 times the cost of the 265-if you follow what I am saying.
If it was me I would look at how long you intend to keep the computer. If the answer is - not all that long I would put a 1Gb in about £30 I would guess.
The reason I say that is that a newer computer is unlikely to use that ram, so it is dead money and you would still notice a tremendous improvement with 1.2Gb asd against the half gig you have now.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 December 2010 - 04:32 PM.