Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New video card causing slowdown

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
My new GTX 460 is in the process of being RMA'd, so I was using my old 9800 GT in the meantime. Problem is, the VRAM on it died so I had no backup video card. I went and bought a XFX HD Radeon 4650 as a budget "back up" video card while I'm waiting for the shipping info to send off my real one, and in case it happens again (apparantly the Zotac 460 GTX is extremely inconsistent).

Anyways, problem is that my internet performance has declined substantially ever since I installed the new GPU, and overall my system is functioning slower, the internet being the main issue here. My latency shoots up to 3000 at times - it's baffling. I uninstalled all the old drivers(I think?) and ran the nVidia section of Driver Cleaner Professional. I switched over to Windows 7 64-bit about a week ago, no other significant changes have been made. Internet worked totally fine with the GT 9800 two days ago.

Please help!

Edited by Oniketsoku, 29 November 2010 - 07:22 AM.

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Oniketsoku,

A very strange problem indeed, did you install any software that accompanied the Radeon video card?
If so, maybe this software is part of the problem and using your internet for whatever reason.
Have you also installed the latest drivers for your ATI Radeon card? The drivers are different from the ones of nvidia.

I think your best bet would be to look at any software recently installed, as the videocard itself should not be a factor in your internet speed.

Hope to help,

Mythio

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Uninstalled every trace of a driver, reinstalled, still have crazy lag issues.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Give more info about your computer....Give the name and model #

If the computer was built by you or some one else then post the specs.

The more information you post up front then the faster people can help you.

Try to be more specific about the problem you're having.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I thought I was being pretty specific? What more details do you want? Installed the new video card, installed the new drivers, begin the immense lag. The day before with the old video card that died, latency was fine.

I built my own computer, it's perpetually upgrading and changing.

HDD: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=

GPU: situation listed above

PSU: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=

Mobo: BIOSTAR Group TA790XE

RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-16)

CPU: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Also, this thread

http://www.geekstogo...th-my-internet/

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
That's better :D it's just easier when people can see all the components you're dealing with. Then it's less of a guessing game and people here may have the same hardware and may have already found a solution .

When you say you're having "crazy lag" or " My latency shoots up to 3000 at times - it's baffling" Are you having issues with low frame rates and high latency in a game? If so What game? Sorry to ask if you've already posted this information but how do you have your network set up? what type of modem / router? what type of connection are you using to play on line with?

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Any and every game is unplayable. Final Fantasy 14, Final Fantasy 11, Starcraft II, GunZ The Duel, League of Legends, GGPO, etc. Trying to load websites and stream video/music is just as impossible, too. As soon as I uninstall the video drivers and go into safe mode with networking, the internet is great. It downloads at like 2 mbps, loads crap instantly, and so on. Frame rates are irrelevant to me. As long as I have good internet I can play with anything... but anyways as soon as I get the GTX 460 back I'll have no problem with video lag for anything.

I have the same exact internet problem with any video card. The only time anything has worked was when I did a clean install of Windows 7 after switching from Vista and installed the drivers for my 9800 GT. It HAS to be a software/driver problem, right? Buy why? I thoroughly uninstalled the 9800 GT drivers and removed any traces of nVidia with Driver Cleaner Professional.

The 9800 GT wasn't a miracle solution before I installed Windows 7, though. It yielded the same results as the GTX 460 and the XFX HD 4650. I believe it's more accurate to say that my latency shoots down to 100 at times, because it's consistently 1000-9001

Edited by Oniketsoku, 01 December 2010 - 10:08 AM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What kind of setup do you have for internet??? list the hardware. one computer or ten computers? A modem/router combo and a router? or a modem and stand alone router.

Where are you seeing this latency? In a game? or in the router? "
my latency shoots down to 100 at times, because it's consistently 1000-9001"

Edited by D-Berd, 01 December 2010 - 10:20 AM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
It's physically represented in a game, but I'm estimating that it is extremely high because it takes 5 minutes for a youtube video to progress 5 seconds sometimes.

Wireless adapter & Wireless router.
Adapter is WMP600N
Router is WRT160N

One computer hooked directly into the modem, two people are wireless (including me in the two).

ISP is Roadrunner

Edited by Oniketsoku, 01 December 2010 - 10:26 AM.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Ok you posted the router. but what type of modem? name and model #

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
The modem is an Arris TM402G

Also we use some kind of Vonage VDV21-VD that's connected between them as well

Edited by Oniketsoku, 01 December 2010 - 11:11 AM.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Oniketsoku,

What ATI driver did u install? (driver version and download location)
You could try using an older driver version for the videocard and see if that helps.

Basically your saying in your first post:

Videocard -> GTX 460 -> no problems
Videocard -> 9800 GT -> no problems
Videocard -> Radeon HD 4650 -> massive internet problems

But after that your saying that you have the problems with any videocard?
If so you should try updating the drivers of your motherboard. Especially the ones regarding the Onboard LAN. (Drivers here)
Are you experiencing the same problems with normal internet use (like youtube), not an online game.

Hope to help,

Mythio

Edited by Mythio, 01 December 2010 - 12:13 PM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I will restate everything once more.

I will try to be as clear as possible about the entirety of the situation this time.

----------------

Phase 1: This lasted a long time. I was using my only video card at the time, the 9800 GT, in my computer before I made some hardware upgrades. I had decent overall latency, but the internet would spike to unreasonable latencies every 2-3 minutes while streaming video. I put up with this for over a year. It made gaming much more difficult than it needed to be.

Phase 2: I got my new hardware, including the GTX460. When I first installed the GTX 460, I moved the wireless adapter to the most bottom PCI slot on my motherboard. When I did that, I proceeded to experience the same exact problems I am now. When I moved the adapter to its previous PCI slot - one above the bottom - I experienced the decent quality internet with spiking latency in regular 2-3 minute intervals. I put up with this for 4 weeks, until the GTX 460 died.

Phase 3: I switched back to the 9800 GT, my only option. This was exactly the same as phase one. I deleted all the GTX 460 drivers and reinstalled the 9800 GT drivers. However, this only lasted for 2 weeks.

Phase 4: I switched to Windows 7 64-bit, from Windows Vista 64-bit. The video card I used was the 9800 GT. Everything worked flawlessly. Internet was great, no spiking, no bad latency. This phase lasted for almost 2 weeks before the VRAM died on the 9800 GT.

Phase 5: This is where I am now. I purchased a XFX HD Radeon 4650 in the meantime and as an overall budget "back up" video card and am encountering the problems I was having with the GTX 460 before I moved the adapter up to the slot above the bottom PCI slot. This time, however, I am experiencing the overwhelming - not to be confused with the spiking lag - lag while the adapter is in the bottom PCI slot AND in the PCI slot one above the bottom.

** I've done countless power cycles, and have done many hard resets on the router.
** I've gone through 3 video cards, 2 processors, 2 HDDS, and 2 operating systems.

EDIT: I tried installing the drivers on the disc, I tried installing the drivers the .exe on the disc decide are the most up-to-date, and I tried installing the drivers I got from googling. This is the driver I'm using right now. Yes, I've tried both options http://sites.amd.com...on_win7-64.aspx

Edited by Oniketsoku, 01 December 2010 - 02:08 PM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I would focus on your network first. Who set up your router? Did you or anyone else make any special configurations in the router? For example, open ports or forward ports? Do you have wireless security set up? Next what download and upload speeds do you get? What is the connection speeds that your supposed to get? ( I have DSL. I pay for 6 mb download speed and 450 K upload speed)

Next I would check the Vonage
phone system out, that system uses bandwidth, and if you have a slow connection to begin with then if people start using the phone when you're gaming or downloading then it could affect your latency. Go to these sites and test you internet connection speeds

http://performance.toast.net/

http://reviews.cnet....net-speed-test/

You should try these test while on the phone and then off the phone to see if there is a major difference in latency

I would make sure you're wireless internet connection is secure, because someone on the outside could be using your internet without your knowledge.

I would also bypass the router and vonage and hook the pc directly to the modem and see if you still have the problem.

I don't personally like using cable for internet because it can be so unpredictable at times, Try these tips out and please answer all the questions i posted. It will really help us help you :D