Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New video card causing slowdown

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I will do all of that.

But...

The internet is so terrible that I doubt I can actually get to speedtest and record data.

--

I set everything up myself - what do you mean by special configurations?
I use WEP so that I can get on Xbox live.
I've forwarded some ports to use GGPO when I was on Vista, but haven't figured out how to set up a static IP address on Win 7 yet so I just deleted all the forwarded ports until I did.

--

Just on assumption based on common sense, if I can connect in safe mode with networking flawlessly, would it really have something to do with the network itself?

By the way, I've been posting from the laptop hooked up to the modem in this thread. It's impossible to get on here on my computer. Everything works just fine on here, and everything works decently on the other laptop connecting wirelessly.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 01 December 2010 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
So it's directly related to the pc. I would focus on the drivers and software for the wireless card. Do you use the network manager that came with the wireless card? You could try to uninstall it and only load the drivers for the card rather than the network manager. If you want to set your pc to use a static ip you can use this link. http://www.ehow.com/...-windows-7.html To get the ip information go to start / and in the search box type in CMD In the next window type in IPCONFIG /ALL look for the wireless card and use the info for the static ip. Try this and post back.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
The drivers I have are the ones I got from googling "WMP600N" and downloading for win7. I lost the CD ages ago, so I don't have the network manager.
I'll set up a static IP once I actually get viable internets going down.

I don't know what to do about drivers.
Should I try reformatting and see what happens? The only time I've gotten positive results in 500+ days is when I switched from Vista to Win7 a couple weeks ago.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Did you get drivers from this site? http://homesupport.c...ess/lbc/WMP600N

You should try to set up the static ip address, you can get the information you need from one of the other computers on the network. just use a number like 192.168.1.222 or 192.168.2.222 for the I PV 4 address when entering the information for your static ip.

You said it runs fine in safe mode, This could be a driver issue.

Do you do any over clocking on the cpu?

Use this http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and make a screen shot of the "Readings" page and post it.

Do this, Go to this link and download http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/ the one you want is in the top right of the window and it says

"Download
Latest Version
2.83MB

After downloading right click on the file and select run as administrator and then Install it and next open the program and go to the "Tools" Tab

After you're on the page click on the button that says "Start Up"

This will show a list of all the programs that start when windows starts.

Down at the bottom right of the page click on the "Save to txt file...."Button and Save the text file and post it back here.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Thanks for all the advice. I will post back the data later tonight, at university all day

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I decided to reformat in order to eliminate all software. Also tried a new PCI slot altogether for the adapter. No resolution, of course.

I went to update the drivers after the reinstall of windows, but it says that I already have the most up-to-date drivers when I try to update them. But yeah I've been using the drivers from that URL. As far as I know, i don't overclock the CPU.

It actually can't even connect to the internet at all any more, not even for a few seconds. It's like a disease, it's gotten worse ever since I first switched to the video card.

Safe mode with networking still works great, but I can't install any windows updates in safe mode. Gonna go to sleep and do the rest tomorrow when I wake up.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 02 December 2010 - 10:34 PM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Well, since I just reformatted there is nothing launching at startup. Also I've tried doing that with the static but it just does not work.

Also, speedfan

My case is an antec 1200 with six fans, not three, but maybe that's just reading GPU/CPU fan RPM. Dunno.

Posted Image

Edited by Oniketsoku, 05 December 2010 - 09:19 AM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Can you ipconfig /all the router? If so can you post the readout? Can you still connect in safe mode?

Did you make sure you installed all the windows updates? Check again.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I haven't been able to install any windows updates since Dec. 2 because the internet has not worked even in the slightest.

Do you want me to ipconfig /all on my desktop?

Yes networking still works in safe mode.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Ok can you post the ipconfig /all in safe mode and then can you connect the pc somehow via ethernet and check for updates?

Advertisements

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I'm installing 45 updates now so it will be a little while before I can post a screenshot

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
After you update reboot the pc and do windows update again...Repeat the process until there are no more updates for the pc.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
This screenshot shows ipconfig /all, the optional updates available, and how horrifically slow the internet is right now.

http://img577.images...ecemberfive.png

I already installed all the "non-optional" updates.

EDIT: Whoops sorry didn't realize the command prompt was scrolled down here's a better look at ipconfig /all http://img11.imagesh...3/ipconfig0.png

Edited by Oniketsoku, 05 December 2010 - 10:38 AM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What I understand is that the ipconfig /all that you posted was while using safe mode?

Are you still unable to connect while in normal windows? I'm not worried about the quality of the connection, but rather if the connection is working while logged into windows normally. We can address the poor connection quality later.

Edited by D-Berd, 05 December 2010 - 11:12 AM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
No my screenshots were not in safe mode

Yeah the whole reason I'm doing all of this today is because I have that 33.7 kb/s speed in the screenshot in standard launch windows. It's moderately consistent and sometimes shoots up to high quality in short bursts.

Totally random. I didn't change anything.