Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New video card causing slowdown

• Please log in to reply

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
So the wireless internet functions correctly, but your connection quality just sucks. So if you go into safe mode does the connection work flawlessly? Or is it the same?

Advertisements

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
If I boot the computer into safe mode, all web pages load instantly, download stuff at like 2 mb/s.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 05 December 2010 - 02:43 PM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
So the wireless internet functions correctly in the normal mode of windows, but it's just slow?

Edited by D-Berd, 05 December 2010 - 02:49 PM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
It isn't just slow, but extremely inconsistent. It will be 33 kb/s one minute, shoot up to normal for a split second, then back to kb/s. 3 hours later, it won't work at all. 3 days later, it'll go back to working. It's random.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 05 December 2010 - 02:59 PM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Go to start, then down at the bottom type in "msconfig" and do a search. click on the mscofig icon in the search results.

When the window opens select "Selective startup" and tick the box that says "Load system services" Then click apply and ok then reboot the pc and see what happens. It could be a service or a program that is conflicting with the drivers of the wireless card.

If the system starts up ok in normal mode and you have no issues with the internet the
n you need to go back into msconfig and start checking off items a couple at a time and then reboot until you find the one that's causing the issue.

Go to this site and check your connection speed. http://performance.toast.net/ Select the "Blue Angels " as your Select speed type test.

On the right you can test each of the servers for download speeds. Then you can compare them with what your supposed to get from your ISP.

Inssider 2 is a wireless scanner that will show you what networks are near your location and show you signal strength as well. You can configure it to only show your connection for monitoring. Just make sure you select your wireless card at the top right of the window.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Before restarting without changes, I can't even get half the picture to load in the speed test.

Tried doing the selective startup, but there didn't seem to be any form of networking at all available, so I went back to starting up normally

Edited by Oniketsoku, 05 December 2010 - 07:34 PM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Download Autoruns from this link http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

**Credit to rshaffer61 for the instructions** ^ ^ ^

I think it's a driver or program conflicting with your card. I have no clue as to what you have installed on your pc.

Do you use the wireless network manager that came with the card? If so then see if you can uninstall it and let windows manage your wireless connections. Post back with the autorun txt.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
That's what so confusing about the reformat solving nothing.

I have no software/anything installed aside from what you've told me to download, and what windows updates has downloaded.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
http://img88.imagesh.../autoruns1.png/
http://img64.imagesh.../autoruns2.png/
http://img191.images.../autoruns3.png/
http://img816.images.../autoruns4.png/

This is everything, (un?)fortunately, all files were found. Although I do see some nVidia stuff in there. Anything else I should delete?

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
A combination of deleting those nVidia entries and deleting the gigabytes of windows.old in my C: seems to have helped significantly. Let's see if it's consistent.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Well there has to be some driver or service conflicting with the card then..........You have a basic win install with no additional software installed. I have no clue what you have on the pc seeing how you're reluctant to post the auto run txt. I Guess all you can do is use msconfig to narrow down the service or startup item that could be causing the issue. http://netsquirrel.c...nfig_win7.html. The other option is to try the card in another win 7 machine or any other machine and see if it has the same problem. Did you use the InSSIDer to see what your signal strength was?

Try this, uninstall the video card driver, the Realtek sound card drivers. Uninstall any ms games or sidebars or any other none essential component of windows. Go into msconfig and disable all startup items. Then go to services and stop some services from starting. If your not sure what a service does then Use google dude......At this point you cant screw anything up right? the wireless doesn't work correctly so just go for it and disable things and see what happens.....Good luck, and please post back if you find out what the problem is, it may help others in the future. :D Edit: at the time of writing this I didn't see your other replies......Yeah bro, you're on the right track.

Edited by D-Berd, 07 December 2010 - 07:42 AM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Alas, too good to be true, like I suspected. Back down to kb/s already.

edit: Also do you think the trial&error system is worth it? Because I only have one service that isn't microsoft corporation in msconfig. Could a microsoft service actually be at the root of this evil?

Edited by Oniketsoku, 07 December 2010 - 07:51 AM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Nothing is going to happen to your system by disabling things...The worst thing that can happen is something won't work correctly. You can always open msconfig and re enable it. If you can, upload the txt file of autoruns because the screen shots are cutting off info.Also use the inssider program and see if there is a pattern of connection problems associated with a drop in signal strength.

You should check event viewer also.

To discover the type of Errors the machine has encountered recently, use Event Viewer.

1. Go to Start - search, type eventvwr.msc then click on event viewer

http://www.windows7u...ent-Viewer.html

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "" "" ""
X "Microsoft Windows" "Windows Mail" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows mail\winmail.exe"
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "" "" ""
X "Microsoft Windows" "Windows Mail" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files (x86)\windows mail\winmail.exe"
"HKLM\Software\Classes\Directory\Background\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers" "" "" ""
X "Gadgets" "Sidebar droptarget" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows sidebar\sbdrop.dll"
X "Gadgets" "Sidebar droptarget" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files (x86)\windows sidebar\sbdrop.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects" "" "" ""
X "Trillian Toolbar" "Ask Toolbar" "Ask" "c:\program files (x86)\ask.com\genericasktoolbar.dll"
"HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar" "" "" ""
X "Trillian Toolbar" "Ask Toolbar" "Ask" "c:\program files (x86)\ask.com\genericasktoolbar.dll"
"Task Scheduler" "" "" ""
X "\GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-3928111151-304995789-2619514178-1001Core" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\users\zetsuvel\appdata\local\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
X "\GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-3928111151-304995789-2619514178-1001UA" "Google Installer" "Google Inc." "c:\users\zetsuvel\appdata\local\google\update\googleupdate.exe"
X "\Microsoft\Windows Defender\MP Scheduled Scan" "Microsoft Malware Protection Command Line Utility" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows defender\mpcmdrun.exe"
X "\Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo" "" "" "c:\windows\system32\gathernetworkinfo.vbs"
X "\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Media Sharing\UpdateLibrary" "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows media player\wmpnscfg.exe"
X "\Scheduled Update for Ask Toolbar" "" "" "c:\program files (x86)\ask.com\updatetask.exe"
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services" "" "" ""
X "WinDefend" "Protection against spyware and potentially unwanted software" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows defender\mpsvc.dll"
X "WMPNetworkSvc" "Shares Windows Media Player libraries to other networked players and media devices using Universal Plug and Play" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows media player\wmpnetwk.exe"
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services" "" "" ""
X "adp94xx" "Adaptec Windows SAS/SATA Storport Driver" "Adaptec, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\adp94xx.sys"
X "adpahci" "Adaptec Windows SATA Storport Driver" "Adaptec, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\adpahci.sys"
X "adpu320" "Adaptec StorPort Ultra320 SCSI Driver (X64)" "Adaptec, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\adpu320.sys"
X "aliide" "ALi mini IDE Driver" "Acer Laboratories Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\aliide.sys"
X "amdsata" "AHCI 1.2 Device Driver" "Advanced Micro Devices" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\amdsata.sys"
X "amdsbs" "AMD Technology AHCI Compatible Controller Driver for Windows - AMD64 platform" "AMD Technologies Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\amdsbs.sys"
X "amdxata" "Storage Filter Driver" "Advanced Micro Devices" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\amdxata.sys"
X "arc" "Adaptec RAID Storport Driver" "Adaptec, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\arc.sys"
X "arcsas" "Adaptec SAS RAID WS03 Driver" "Adaptec, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\arcsas.sys"
X "atikmdag" "ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver" "ATI Technologies Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys"
X "b06bdrv" "Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE VBD" "Broadcom Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\bxvbda.sys"
X "b57nd60a" "Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NDIS6.x Unified Driver." "Broadcom Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\b57nd60a.sys"
X "BrFiltLo" "Windows ME USB Mass-Storage Bulk-Only Lower Filter Driver" "Brother Industries, Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\brfiltlo.sys"
X "BrFiltUp" "Windows ME USB Mass-Storage Bulk-Only Upper Filter Driver" "Brother Industries, Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\brfiltup.sys"
X "Brserid" "Brotehr Serial I/F Driver (WDM)" "Brother Industries Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\brserid.sys"
X "BrSerWdm" "Brother Serial driver (WDM version)" "Brother Industries Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\brserwdm.sys"
X "BrUsbMdm" "Brother USB MDM Driver " "Brother Industries Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\brusbmdm.sys"
X "BrUsbSer" "Brother USB Serial Driver" "Brother Industries Ltd." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\brusbser.sys"
X "cmdide" "CMD PCI IDE Bus Driver" "CMD Technology, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\cmdide.sys"
X "ebdrv" "Broadcom NetXtreme II 10 GigE VBD" "Broadcom Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\evbda.sys"
X "elxstor" "Storport Miniport Driver for LightPulse HBAs" "Emulex" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\elxstor.sys"
X "hcw85cir" "Hauppauge WinTV 885 Consumer IR Driver for eHome" "Hauppauge Computer Works, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\hcw85cir.sys"
X "HpSAMD" "Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Media Driver" "Hewlett-Packard Company" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\hpsamd.sys"
X "iaStorV" "Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - x64" "Intel Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\iastorv.sys"
X "iirsp" "Intel/ICP Raid Storport Driver" "Intel Corp./ICP vortex GmbH" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\iirsp.sys"
X "LSI_FC" "LSI Fusion-MPT FC Driver (StorPort)" "LSI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\lsi_fc.sys"
X "LSI_SAS" "LSI Fusion-MPT SAS Driver (StorPort)" "LSI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\lsi_sas.sys"
X "LSI_SAS2" "LSI SAS Gen2 Driver (StorPort)" "LSI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\lsi_sas2.sys"
X "LSI_SCSI" "LSI Fusion-MPT SCSI Driver (StorPort)" "LSI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\lsi_scsi.sys"
X "megasas" "MEGASAS RAID Controller Driver for Windows 7\Server 2008 R2 for x64" "LSI Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\megasas.sys"
X "MegaSR" "LSI MegaRAID Software RAID Driver" "LSI Corporation, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\megasr.sys"
X "netr28x" "Ralink 802.11 Wireless Adapter Driver" "Ralink Technology, Corp." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\netr28x.sys"
X "nfrd960" "IBM ServeRAID Controller Driver" "IBM Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\nfrd960.sys"
X "ql2300" "QLogic Fibre Channel Stor Miniport Driver" "QLogic Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ql2300.sys"
X "ql40xx" "QLogic iSCSI Storport Miniport Driver" "QLogic Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\ql40xx.sys"
X "RTL8167" "Realtek 8101E/8168/8169 NDIS 6.20 64-bit Driver " "Realtek Corporation " "c:\windows\system32\drivers\rt64win7.sys"
X "secdrv" "Macrovision SECURITY Driver" "Macrovision Corporation, Macrovision Europe Limited, and Macrovision Japan and Asia K.K." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\secdrv.sys"
X "SiSRaid2" "SiS RAID Stor Miniport Driver" "Silicon Integrated Systems Corp." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\sisraid2.sys"
X "SiSRaid4" "SiS AHCI Stor-Miniport Driver" "Silicon Integrated Systems" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\sisraid4.sys"
X "speedfan" "SpeedFan Device Driver" "Windows ® Server 2003 DDK provider" "c:\windows\syswow64\speedfan.sys"
X "stexstor" "Promise SuperTrak EX Series Driver for Windows " "Promise Technology" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\stexstor.sys"
X "viaide" "VIA Generic PCI IDE Bus Driver" "VIA Technologies, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\viaide.sys"
X "vsmraid" "VIA RAID DRIVER FOR AMD-X86-64" "VIA Technologies Inc.,Ltd" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\vsmraid.sys"
"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32" "" "" ""
X "msacm.l3acm" "MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM" "Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS" "c:\windows\system32\l3codeca.acm"
"HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32" "" "" ""
X "msacm.l3acm" "MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM" "Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS" "c:\windows\syswow64\l3codeca.acm"
X "vidc.cvid" "Cinepak® Codec" "Radius Inc." "c:\windows\syswow64\iccvid.dll"

I have unchecked loading up startup items and have unchecked everything in autoruns. It's working, but for a short time I bet. Every time a make a reply, I'm going to run a speed test and post it to collect data.

Posted Image

How interesting. I decided to run pingtest, look at this:

Posted Image

I 100% consistently fail the packet loss test. It won't even get halfway through. They offer this explanation:

"Much as it sounds, if you have anything less than complete success in transmitting and receiving "packets" of data then you are experiencing this problem with your Internet connection. It can mean much slower download and upload speeds, poor quality VoIP audio, pauses with streaming media and what seems like time warping in games -- your connection may even come to a total standstill! Packet loss is a metric where anything greater than 0% should cause concern."

Sure sounds like my problem, doesn't it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just now the internet "died" and "went back" to kb/s. Results:

Posted Image
Posted Image

These two situations are precisely the circumstances that my network "alternates" between.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 07 December 2010 - 11:00 AM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Can you upload the the Autoruns as an attachment? because it's still missing information.......If you follow the instructions it will work. Need all the info or this is pointless. If your having problems with understanding how to upload the txt doc that autoruns creates then ask for help.