Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Additional RAM causes sound problems with Creative Sound Card

• Please log in to reply

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Have a Dell XPS710. It came with Windows XP but I updated to Windows 7 Pro. No problems. Several months later I added 4 G of (Crucial) RAM to the 2 G I already had.

Sound, which had been perfect, now was unlistenable; scratchy, distorted, cutting in and out.

Someone told me that Creative drivers didn't play well with additional RAM so I experimented with returning to original 2 G; removing original and adding new 4 G; using all 6G of RAM.

The sound only worked properly with the original 2 G.

All Creative X-Fi sound card drivers are the latest.

Is there a fix for this? or will I be forced to keep RAM low?

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Can you list more information about the old ram and the new ram? Are all the ram sticks the same?

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Old RAM is what came with system,2 1G sticks PC5300, 666 mhz (I think). New was same specs, 2 2G sticks..

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
First off, is the OS the 64 or 32 bit version of win 7? Explain what you do to maintain your system on a regular basis and what have you done to try to fix the issue? It's easier if you post that information, rather than people having to ask you. The more info you provide up front the easier and faster people may be able to help you.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Someone told me that Creative drivers didn't play well with additional RAM

The sound only worked properly with the original 2 G

That really makes no sense. There's no reason simply adding RAM would mess up your sound, unless there is something wrong with that new RAM, or the additional RAM is putting too much stress on something else.

What if you use a different 2Gb and not the original?

What are your PSU specs? If the PSU is overstressed with the extra demands of the additional RAM, that may be causing problems.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

First off, is the OS the 64 or 32 bit version of win 7? Explain what you do to maintain your system on a regular basis and what have you done to try to fix the issue? It's easier if you post that information, rather than people having to ask you. The more info you provide up front the easier and faster people may be able to help you.

Sorry. 64 bit, Win 7 Pro. I use Advanced System Care to keep system clean/efficient, Norton for firewall and anti-virus.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Someone told me that Creative drivers didn't play well with additional RAM

The sound only worked properly with the original 2 G

That really makes no sense. There's no reason simply adding RAM would mess up your sound, unless there is something wrong with that new RAM, or the additional RAM is putting too much stress on something else.

What if you use a different 2Gb and not the original?

What are your PSU specs? If the PSU is overstressed with the extra demands of the additional RAM, that may be causing problems.

I agree that it makes no sense but when a friend told me about problems he had heard about, I removed it and sound returned. Supposedly it is the Creative X-Fi PCI sound card drivers that cause the problems. I spent at least 8 hours uninstalling/reinstalling sound card, updating drivers, researching, and whatever else I could think of. My system correctly reported that (after installation) I had 6G of RAM so it appears to have been good.

I have a 1,000 W. PSU.

Edited by Impala1ss, 30 November 2010 - 10:15 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You didn't answer my other question, "What if you use a different 2Gb and not the original?"

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

You didn't answer my other question, "What if you use a different 2Gb and not the original?"

Couldn't do that. Had 2 1 G in system. All RAM has to be put in in 2 same sized pairs. Put the new 2 2G sticks in. As stated in original post, I put all 6G in and got the problem. Put only the 2 2G sticks in and had the problem. Put the original 2 1G sticks in and had no problem. I do not have any additional 1G or 2G sticks to try. Besides, how could "bad" RAM cause the sound problem?

Edited by Impala1ss, 30 November 2010 - 12:02 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

All RAM has to be put in in 2 same sized pairs.

No it doesn't. That's only to enable dual-channel mode. If they don't match, it (the motherboard/memory controller) will simply revert to single channel.

Put only the 2 2G sticks in and had the problem

So that points to the new RAM.

Besides, how could "bad" RAM cause the sound problem?

I don't think the fact it is RAM is the point. If the module has something electronically wrong with it, or if it is not compatible, simply plugging it into the motherboard could put an unexpected load (or short) on the motherboard and cause an increase in current or a drop in voltage on related circuits and/or power supply and that may be affecting your sound.

Did you ensure that new RAM is compatible with that Dell? Note according to the XPS 710 Tech Specs (click the Tech Specs tab), your computer only supports 4Gb maximum.

Advertisements

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

All RAM has to be put in in 2 same sized pairs.

No it doesn't. That's only to enable dual-channel mode. If they don't match, it (the motherboard/memory controller) will simply revert to single channel.

DOn't know what that has to do with sound.

Put only the 2 2G sticks in and had the problem

So that points to the new RAM.

Besides, how could "bad" RAM cause the sound problem?

I don't think the fact it is RAM is the point. If the module has something electronically wrong with it, or if it is not compatible, simply plugging it into the motherboard could put an unexpected load (or short) on the motherboard and cause an increase in current or a drop in voltage on related circuits and/or power supply and that may be affecting your sound.

Did you ensure that new RAM is compatible with that Dell? Note according to the XPS 710 Tech Specs (click the Tech Specs tab), your computer only supports 4Gb maximum.

Yes. It was compatible. The xps710 came with Windows XP, 32 bit which only allows up to 4G. It now has Windows 7, 64 bit which allows up to 8G.

Edited by Impala1ss, 30 November 2010 - 02:01 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Yes. It was compatible. The xps710 came with Windows XP, 32 bit which only allows up to 4G. It now has Windows 7, 64 bit which allows up to 8G.

No. That's not how it works. The motherboard/chipset determines how much RAM the motherboard will support. I provided the link to your system that shows clearly that your hardware only supports up to 4Gb. It does not matter that 64-bit Windows 7 can support much more.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
It still didn't work when I only had the new 4G in it. Only worked with 2. Can u give me the link you are getting your info from? I'd like to look at it. Thanks

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Here's where I got info from:

http://support.dell....s.htm#wp1211074

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts