Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Additional RAM causes sound problems with Creative Sound Card

• Please log in to reply

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
According to Dell tech. I can add up to 8Gb of RAM here's a part of transcript.

Don: "SO you are saying that I can NOT add any additional RAM, is this correct?"
11/30/2010 04:35:40PM Agent (Abhishek_205286): "You can surely add more RAM, However you have to make sure that the RAM cards are compatible."
11/30/2010 04:36:03PM Don: "The ones I added were compatible."
11/30/2010 04:36:19PM Agent (Abhishek_205286): "Please check this Link."
11/30/2010 04:36:25PM Don: "ac cording to Cricial, the manufacturer."
11/30/2010 04:36:48PM Don: "Crucial\"
11/30/2010 04:37:34PM Don: "are you sending a link?"
11/30/2010 04:37:39PM Agent (Abhishek_205286): "These are the list of the compliable RAM for the Dell System. These cards have been checked and we have determined that they work with the XPS 710 system."
11/30/2010 04:37:49PM Agent (Abhishek_205286): "_http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=6436&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&mfgpid=190542&chassisid=8248"
11/30/2010 04:38:02PM Don: "standby please"
11/30/2010 04:38:14PM Agent (Abhishek_205286): "Certainly."
11/30/2010 04:39:26PM Don: "SO either the Dell, or Corsair will work in my system and allow the sound card to work also?"
11/30/2010 04:40:46PM Agent (Abhishek_205286): "In terms of compatibility these are the only Dell Recommended memory cards which should work properly with the system without affecting any hardware components."

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Obviously, Dell is sending mixed signals. I would hope the Dell tech has the latest, most correct information. And if so, and your RAM is compatible, then we are back to what I said earlier and it would appear there is something wrong with your new RAM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Are you sure you are giving out the correct specs for your system? You're saying that your system is a Dell XPS 710. Are there any other numbers or letters after XPZ 710? You may need to check the label on the pc and make sure you are providing the correct info. I have this link and it shows this http://en.community....t/18476990.aspx Now when you click on the link provided by the tech it refers to the pc as a "Dell XPS 710 H2C" Check the info for your pc, go to the dell site and look up your system using the service tag.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yet a 3rd specs page - at least yours also says 8Gb.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Are you sure you are giving out the correct specs for your system? You're saying that your system is a Dell XPS 710. Are there any other numbers or letters after XPZ 710? You may need to check the label on the pc and make sure you are providing the correct info. I have this link and it shows this http://en.community....t/18476990.aspx Now when you click on the link provided by the tech it refers to the pc as a "Dell XPS 710 H2C" Check the info for your pc, go to the dell site and look up your system using the service tag.

The H2C is a water cooled system that I surely do n ot have; mine is an XPS 710.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
http://social.answer...04-c0671b616aef I think this is an issue with Dell boards and Creative sound drivers. Maybe this will shed some light on the issue.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

http://social.answer...04-c0671b616aef I think this is an issue with Dell boards and Creative sound drivers. Maybe this will shed some light on the issue.

Thanks, D-Berd - that thread shows that add'tl RAM causes problems on these motherboards. Apparently, no hope for me and my XPS710. I didn't realize that Dell used proprietary parts i.e motherboards. Looks like I couldn't even change motherboards. Is that your read?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

that thread shows that add'tl RAM causes problems on these motherboards

To ensure clarity, it shows the problem is with the motherboard, not the RAM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Thanks, D-Berd - that thread shows that add'tl RAM causes problems on these motherboards. Apparently, no hope for me and my XPS710. I didn't realize that Dell used proprietary parts i.e motherboards. Looks like I couldn't even change motherboards. Is that your read?

Dell computers are good for the average user, but for people that want to do a little more, problems can arise.
Dell is very proprietary, Just look at them, clam shell case different bolt pattens on the mother board, different PSU. It's designed that way so you'll go to them when you need to upgrade or need parts for a repair. Not only that but it saves Dell from having to deal with customers that buy third party hardware and end up having issues and then saturating the help desks of the Dell tecs.

Digerati is correct about the ram, additional ram should not effect the sound on a mother board.
There is an issue with that particular Dell board and additional ram but it's a board or driver problem. You could try to install older sound drivers and maybe have some luck, Or possibly try another sound card. Not really sure.

You can get a different mother board but you will have to get it from Dell, I've tried in the past to put a dell board in an after marked case and it would not fit because the bolt holes would not match. I don't think things have changed in the last 5 years.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

You can get a different mother board but you will have to get it from Dell, I've tried in the past to put a dell board in an after marked case and it would not fit because the bolt holes would not match. I don't think things have changed in the last 5 years.

It appears that the only Dell motherboard which will fit this case is the XPS 720 which has the same problems the XPS 710 has. Oh well, this computer does everything I need so as long as the parts last I'll be stuck with it. I'll never buy another Dell though.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Advertisements

Mredusa

Mredusa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the EXACT same problem. I was going to call the company.