Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two questions

• Please log in to reply

babar

babar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have two questions.

First is there a reliable program out there that can identify duplicate files? I have important family pictures on three separate computers plus backups. When I tried to get them all on one computer and one back up i ended up with 4-5 times the space taken up. I know that there is are some different pics in each computer but not enough that my storage is multiplied by that much. If I lose anything while trying to clean it up my wife will have my head.

Secondly I have used Norton Anti virus for a number of years. It has become somewhat better as far as resource usage but I find it is still quite a hog. What is one of the better internet suites or Anti virus programs that is relatively low resource usage. I have heard of a newer product called Vypre {sp} but do not know to much about it.

Thanks for any help.

babar

Advertisements

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
With regard your second question both Microsoft Security Essentials and Avira Antivir are good anti viruses that are light on your system. MSE is free, and Avira also has a free version. I don't know anything about Vipre so I'll leave that to others who've used that system.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Babar,

With regards to your first question; are you talking about duplicate files as in content or just in name?
For duplicate file names windows should not allow that and add (#) numbers behind it. Unless the duplicates are in separate folders.
If they are in separate folders, but with the same name you can also use programs to find the duplicates.

Try Easy duplicate finder, and see if that is what u are looking for.
It also scans the contents of files and is able to compare on that level, but I've never tested it myself.

Hope to help,

Mythio