Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WAN connection regularly dropping

• Please log in to reply

SwanVsDalton

SwanVsDalton

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm currently having a problem with my wireless connection. It regularly drops (roughly ever half hour or so) before (more or less) instantly reconnecting. I'm running a Windows XP SP3 system, with an Atheros Wireless Network Adapter and a ZyXEL router. I believe the problem lies somewhere at my end because my connection is fine when cabled up the router and my two housemates have no issue with their wireless connection at all.

In addition I recently had to reformat my hard-drive and re-install XP from scratch, which led to me having to track down all the hardware drivers from my laptop manufacturer (Samsung). So I've been having teething problems for the last week because of it, but things mostly seem ironed out now apart from the wireless issues.

I checked the system log and I get the following warning messages around the disconnects:

Date: 29/11/2010
Time: 18:32:46
Type: Warning
User: N/A
Computer: MCCS
Sourse: Server
Category: None
Event ID: 2504

The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{4B6A3D60-C869-46EF-AE0F-FD709BE6F8F5}.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

---------------------------------------------

Time: 18:32:45
Sourse: Dhcp
Event ID: 1007

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0016E38F760F. The IP address being used is 169.254.38.9.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

---------------------------------------------

Time: 18:32:37
Sourse: Dhcp
Event ID: 1003

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0016E38F760F. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

If anyone could offer me any advice, I'd really appreciate it. It's becoming fairly frustrating! Also apologies if this issues has been answered elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks.

Edited by SwanVsDalton, 29 November 2010 - 12:58 PM.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
go to start then run then type in "DEVMGMT.MSC" without the quotes. This will bring up device manager. do you see any issues with any of the hardware? specifically the wireless network card? Regardless of if you do or not, right click on the wireless network card and uninstall it. reboot the pc and let windows reinstall the drivers for it..Post back

SwanVsDalton

SwanVsDalton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi thanks for the reply. I checked out device manager, have no obvious issues with anything, no exclamation marks or red x's. My modem is currently listed under 'Other Devices', I'm not sure if that's related. It says my wireless card is working fine.

Then I uninstalled it and rebooted, driver was reinstalled and, while initially it seemed a little better, the problem has persisted. What tends to happen is the browser becomes unresponsive (web links not working, slow to connect), then I get 'Limited or No Connectivity' for a little while before it reconnects immmediately. I always have 'excellent' or 'very good signal. When the signal drops I get the errors messages I outlined above.

Possibly worth saying that the performance of the wireless is generally quite sluggish (despite indicating I have excellent signal) which improves a little if I'm in the same room as the router. However I still have the same problem of signal dropping no matter where I am in the house.

Edited by SwanVsDalton, 29 November 2010 - 05:28 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi, It would be wise to borrow a USB network Adapter and try that....(don't forget to install its drivers first before connecting it) if it cures the problem then it's likely a fault with the inbuilt network adapter card or the inbuilt wireless antenna (the USB network adapter will by-pass both of these)
Regards
paws

SwanVsDalton

SwanVsDalton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try. But something I should've made clearer earlier is that I didn't have this problem before I had to reformat my drive a few weeks back (my hard drive got toasted by a nasty virus). Seems odd if the hardware has suddenly becoming damaged and I can't help but think it's some driver or XP issue arising from the reinstall.

Anyway I'll try and track down a USB adapter and see what happens. Cheers guys - any other thoughts much appreciated.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Do you remember if you used a wireless network manager associated with the card before you reinstalled windows? you said you reformatted, did you use a recovery cd or did you use a regular xp cd? Maybe you have two programs trying to manage your network card. If so, see if you can turn off or disable the network manager program associated with the card and see what it does. FYI, Windows xp has a built in network manager called "Wireless net zero"

SwanVsDalton

SwanVsDalton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Prior to the reformat I only used the Windows Net Zero. But funny you should mention, I have had issues since the reformat with just that problem. I used an ordinary XP cd so I had to go to the Samsung website in order to get all the relevant drivers for the system hardware (here).

I downloaded the relevant drivers for the Atheros network adapter and installed them (or what I thought to be them) but also unintentionally installed Atheros' network manager which led to a conflict between it and the Windows Net Zero (which simply said it wouldn't work due to the other program). So I uninstalled the Atheros program in order to just use Windows Net Zero (setting it up so it automatically handled the wireless connections), since that's what I'm accustomed to.

Since then I've had wireless capability but with the aforementioned performance issues. AFAIK I did fully uninstall the other program. I did check Add/Remove Programs and it shows the 'Atheros WLAN Client' - but when I uninstall that it takes away all wireless capability and uninstalls the network adapter. Maybe I've done something else when searching for the drivers? I feel doubtful because the downloads from Samsung came with very little in the way of explanation, which was why I ended up installing Atheros' network manager in the first place.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Did you try disabling net zero? go to control panel and go to administrative tools and then open the Administrative Tools control panel and choose Services. Scroll down the list of services and double-click Wireless Zero Configuration. Click Stop to end the service now. Select Manual (or Disabled) for the Startup Type.Then make sure you have the Atheros WLAN Client installed and see how it works.

SwanVsDalton

SwanVsDalton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I've given it a go but the same problem has persisted using the Atheros network manager. Pretty much exactly the same unfortunately, wireless periodically dropping signal, going to limited or no connectivity then reconnecting.