Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting two routers

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Also am I right in believing that the D-Link Bridge could act as a wireless port for a computer? By his I mean connecting the computer directly to the bridge to connect to the wireless without the need for a wireless network card / usb pickup device?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

technically, if you just chained the routers together, and had the NAS plugged into the one that's in the remote location (your room i guess) then it would be on a different subnet and it wouldn't advertise to the network created by the main router. you'd still be able to get on the internet (because your router would be routing to the other router which routes to the internet....route route route). if the room mates KNEW about the NAS, they could still find it, but it won't show up in "network neighborhood" (or at least shouldn't) by default.

If I was to do this would I not need to attach the routers via cable?

yes, to be honest i didn't read this whole thread :D ....so if that's not do-able, just ignore me

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Haha no worries. It would be a lot more simple if I could via cable :D

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
DD-WRT is the Cat's meow......... http://www.dd-wrt.co...Wireless_Bridge

Is this what you're looking to do? If you do try to install the DD-WRT firmware in your router make sure you read and understand everything before attempting to flash the router. There is a list of compatible routers somewhere on their site.

Attached Thumbnails

• wirelessbridge.jpg