Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu Grub/windows xp help plzzzzzz?

• Please log in to reply

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok.So I got the enclosure from my buddy today. I ripped my hard drive out of my net-book (and why they didn't install a removable bottom to take out the hard drive is beyond me, you have to disassemble the whole thing to get it) and I have it in the enclosure. I have hooked up the hard drive and was able to directly go onto the hard drive just as any external hard drive. I was able to rob ;) all my data that I was hoping to get :D . That was easy. Now, can I format the hard drive with it connected to the my main computer and install the operating system like this, then re install the hard drive and go from there? I know if I do it like that I will have to download all the drivers and what not but that's small beans I can worry about later. I don't have a windows xp cd but I know where I can download a torrent. I have like 3 keys for xp around the house so I'm not stealing it, I'm just gonna use the torrent for the software and put in my key. Either that, or I'll go get a copy of windows 7 for it. I have read some decent reviews of how it's performing on net-books. If I can load xp to the hard drive hooked up via usb could you please give me some basic instructions? I thank you again in advance. ;)

Edited by bigdogc23, 02 December 2010 - 12:42 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I don't have a windows xp cd but I know where I can download a torrent.

THe rules of this forum, prevent me from even entering into any discussion regarding this issue. All I will say is DO NOT DO IT. You NEVER know what you are downloading. We do NOT support or discuss the use of such things.

You CANNOT install on one computer, put the hard drive in the other computer and expect XP to run.

You need to go back to the computer, from which the drive was taken out and start from there.

IF YOU ask again regarding such things as Torrents etc for obtaining Windows, I will ask for the thread to be closed. It is in clear breach of the site rules.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 December 2010 - 05:28 AM.

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I don't have a windows xp cd but I know where I can download a torrent.

THe rules of this forum, prevent me from even entering into any discussion regarding this issue. All I will say is DO NOT DO IT. You NEVER know what you are downloading. We do NOT support or discuss the use of such things.

You CANNOT install on one computer, put the hard drive in the other computer and expect XP to run.

You need to go back to the computer, from which the drive was taken out and start from there.

IF YOU ask again regarding such things as Torrents etc for obtaining Windows, I will ask for the thread to be closed. It is in clear breach of the site rules.

Aw man... I am so sorry. It was not my intention to overstep the boundaries of the forum. I thought about not posting it because of the nature question, but it was never my intention to steal or violate any copyright laws. I have 3 legal keys on stickers on older computers, I just didn't have the actual software itself. I was under the impression it wasn't wrong but if I am then I won't do that because I don't condone violating copyright laws. It was something someone else suggested to me since I have 3 totally legal keys and was told it would make it legal. I will not mention this again and the only reason I am even posting a comment again regarding this is because I really feel bad about taking the conversation in the wrong direction. As stated before I have a lot of respect and admeration for you guys and don't want to ruin a good thing. Hope to talk to you soon.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You can use, providing they are NOT already in use the product keys you have. They are more than likely a ONE LICENCE product key.
As previously stated I CANNOT discuss Torrent downloads.
I have given my advice - whether or NOT you follow it is up to you - DO NOT TRUST THESE DOWNLOADS - you do NOT know what you are installing.

The problem is this:
OEM recovery discs that reinstall XP - as to the product key label on the computer - WILL not accept ANY other product key.
Microsoft XP installation CD`s as you would get if you BOUGHT the CD from Microsoft, that come with the product key - will NOT accept the product key on the OEM computer, that had XP preinstalled.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the OS was preinstalled you can borrow a OEM installation disk and use it to install. Since the key located on your system would most likely be OEM you would be using that. This is not illegal as the key is part of the system.
If you use a retail version and to clarify you cannot have that key installed on more then one system at a time as this is against Microsoft's EULA that you agree to when you purchase the software.
Mac I apologize for stepping in and also want you to know you have been doing good. Just wanted to clarify things.

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
sorry for butting in,

i presume xp was pre-installed, if you still have the hdd in your enclosure then check your I386 files,
if one has thousands of files (around 7 thousand) and has winnt.exe and winnt32.exe, these are the set-up programs, then you have a cd image-ish thing,

this allows you to do a clean install - without the need for torrents or other dodgy ways,

someone can guide you if you have,
i'm a linux guy and would have to learn windows all over again - something i don't really want to do

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

If the OS was preinstalled you can borrow a OEM installation disk and use it to install. Since the key located on your system would most likely be OEM you would be using that. This is not illegal as the key is part of the system.
If you use a retail version and to clarify you cannot have that key installed on more then one system at a time as this is against Microsoft's EULA that you agree to when you purchase the software.
Mac I apologize for stepping in and also want you to know you have been doing good. Just wanted to clarify things.

I wouldn't use a key on a OS that was being ran on another computer. I have a couple of crashed never use again computers in the closet but yes I would use the key on the netbook anyway. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem. We just like to make sure we clarify everything. Mac is very good at assisting and he can help you a lot as long as it does not go against our TOU. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61
Just pleased you did. Actually I was just about to ask you to clarify for bigdogc23.

bigdocc23
I am not certain which way you intend to go as you mentioned earlier about installing Windows7 before you even think of that I would make sure your hardware can run 7.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 December 2010 - 01:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7

Advertisements