Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Crashes

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK with your concerns I would suggest borrowing a XP pro disk to do the steps.

Changing the registry all you are doing is changing where it looks for the I386 folder. Instead of looking on the disk it looks on the hd.
It really should not affect anything.

Advertisements

wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

OK with your concerns I would suggest borrowing a XP pro disk to do the steps.

Changing the registry all you are doing is changing where it looks for the I386 folder. Instead of looking on the disk it looks on the hd.
It really should not affect anything.

Well I went into the registry and found the sourcepath file but it doesnt say anything about CD Rom or D drive. This is what it says:

C:\DOCUME~1\Jeremy\LOCALS~1\Temp\SETUP\

None of the values in the list say CD Rom or D. By the way I don't have anyone to barrow an XP Pro disc from.

I have a question though. If this problem isn't fixed is it really that bad? I mean can the computer stay alive even if this keeps happening? I know crashing and BSOD are bad but is it damaging to let it go?

I ask because there really doesnt seem to be any solution for this. We (I) know its some driver in the kernel but who knows what program it could be too.

Edited by wildcat2000, 02 December 2010 - 11:44 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

We (I) know its some driver in the kernel but who knows what program it could be too. We (I) know its some driver in the kernel but who knows what program it could be too.

Actually most likely it is the OS and it needs to be repaired.
Without the cd we can't do a Repair Installation though. :D

wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

We (I) know its some driver in the kernel but who knows what program it could be too. We (I) know its some driver in the kernel but who knows what program it could be too.

Actually most likely it is the OS and it needs to be repaired.
Without the cd we can't do a Repair Installation though. :D

Oh. Well would reformating and re-installing windows fix it? Just wondering cause I really can't do that because I don't have my drivers saved anywhere like my audio and video ect...

Last year when my hard drive broke I replaced it, installed windows but ended up having to take it to a local repair shop to get everything else up and running. I know that the companies (in thise case Gateway) have the drivers for download on their site for people who need them but when I did that it still didn't work and thats why I ended up in the repair shop. Even the lady that fixed it for me said she had trouble and that there was some alternate route she had to use to get it done.

See Ive had this computer since 2006 and it has some other issues like a broken hinge and whatnot but Ive just learned to deal with it. Now that these random crashes started happening I figured I wouldn't bother getting it fixed because it would take up more money that would be better spent on just replacing this laptop altogether.

I did some searches on this problem and then posted here to see if there was anything I could do to fix it on my own. Ive fixed other issues and viruses this way so I thought Id give this a shot but if I theres nothing I can do I'm not gonna go any futher with it.

Thats why I was asking if itd be ok to let it go and how long can it last before the computer finally dies?

EDIT: On a side note, I dont understand why my disc would be wrong. I have XP Media Center '05 which IS the disc I have. Thats what I used to install it last time. I don't know why its asking for XP Pro.

Edited by wildcat2000, 03 December 2010 - 03:26 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Oh. Well would reformating and re-installing windows fix it? Just wondering cause I really can't do that because I don't have my drivers saved anywhere like my audio and video ect...

Most likely yes

EDIT: On a side note, I dont understand why my disc would be wrong. I have XP Media Center '05 which IS the disc I have. Thats what I used to install it last time. I don't know why its asking for XP Pro.

This is confusing me also but lets take a look at something to see if it will show us.

Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok here ya go:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Computer:

AMD Turion ™ 64 Mobile
Technology ML-37
1.60GHz, 960 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extention

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This verifies you have what you say you have.
Strange, we can format and reinstall but before you do that we need to get all the drivers for you.
What is the make and model or is this a custom built?
If custom built what mobo do you have?
I can then find the drivers for the mobo.
If brand name i can look on manufacturers website for the drivers for you. :D

wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

This verifies you have what you say you have.
Strange, we can format and reinstall but before you do that we need to get all the drivers for you.
What is the make and model or is this a custom built?
If custom built what mobo do you have?
I can then find the drivers for the mobo.
If brand name i can look on manufacturers website for the drivers for you. :D

No it's not a custom. Its a Gateway laptop Model: MX6428

I know the drivers are on their website but like I said, last year I tryed installing them myself but it wouldn't work. Thats why I had to goto the repair shop. I don't know what or how they got it to work but they did tell me they had trouble too. Matter of fact they ended up using different audio drivers because the others wouldn't install for some reason.

That and I don't know how to re-install my internet connection. Last time a technician from my ISP had to come to my house to do it because I don't know how to get the wireless router box back on, which is in another room.

I appreciate the help but I just don't feel compfortable going through with it. Thats why I asked how long I could keep using it this way?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well the crashes are a annoyance but the system will continue to work.
Eventually it will corrupt the OS where you will have to do something.
I have seen people go a year like this before they seeked helped.
Since you don't feel good about doing it yourself I would suggest making sure your important data is backed up before taking it to any shop.
As I stated a Repair Installation may take care of the issue but since it is saying you need a XP Pro disk I understand you don't have access to that.
If you by chance do borrow one then we can continue if you would like. :D

wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Well the crashes are a annoyance but the system will continue to work.
Eventually it will corrupt the OS where you will have to do something.
I have seen people go a year like this before they seeked helped.
Since you don't feel good about doing it yourself I would suggest making sure your important data is backed up before taking it to any shop.
As I stated a Repair Installation may take care of the issue but since it is saying you need a XP Pro disk I understand you don't have access to that.
If you by chance do borrow one then we can continue if you would like. :D

Oh I see. Yes I have everything backed up on an external hard drive. I bought one awhile back because I knew this computer was not in very good shape and I didnt wanna risk loosing everything. That already happend to me once before.

Anyway thanks for the help ;)

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What anti-virus is on there is it by any chance Avira.

wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes its Avira. Ive done virus scans though. One of the first things I did.

Ran Avira, MalwareBytes, Super Anti-Spyware and I checked for Rootkits....nothing.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Which edition of Avira and check the updates for the date of the update see if it fits in with the date of the crash starting.

wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Which edition of Avira and check the updates for the date of the update see if it fits in with the date of the crash starting.

Nope, no updates on that day. Its the Free edition....unless you mean a number. I don't see one on the window.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Early November saw a product upgrade to Avira v.10 that unleashed one [bleep] of a memory leak. If you are crashing and you have this version installed and up-to-date, uninstall it! Try downgrading to v.9

Ir is worth a try. I have seen five of them in the last few days.

Personally I would uninstall it and install another. That has definitely worked elsewhere.

It may NOT of course be the cause of your problem, but it is an amazing coincidence that you have Avira with similar symptoms.
If you have the free edition unless you have stopped the updates you will have received it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 December 2010 - 06:41 PM.