Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Problems After Each Windows Install

• Please log in to reply

Asmodean

Asmodean

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core 2 Duo : E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
8 GB RAM
300 GB Western Digital HD, used for Windows and programs only. A second 1TB hard drive for my files.
Mozilla Firefox

Hey guys, I've got a doozy here and I'm at my wits end.

First some history: I was using the Windows 7 free trial they had before the official release. It worked perfectly, super fast, and no weird glitches. Once my time ran out I was forced to buy it. I formatted and installed the new one with the exact same hardware. Wow! What a difference, everything was way slower, and I had nothing but weird glitches and terrible performance.

Eventually it got to the point where I would right click a file and a timer would appear and it would just sit there, and eventually bring up a menu after a long period(Hard drive is brand new). So I decided to format and reinstall.

I no longer had those problems, but I had a new problem where if I opened more than 2 Firefox windows everything would slow to a crawl where it took forever just to switch between firefox windows. It seemed like once the page stopped loading it would go back to normal, but as soon as I clicked a link or picture it would freeze up again until it finished loading. I couldn't open bookmarks or do anything within the firefox program.

So I wiped it a THIRD time. Now I seem to be able to use Firefox properly, but now when I watch videos in say, youtube, I can see the video jerk as if my computer isn't fast enough to play it. I notice it more in high def.

I guess the question I wish to pose to you guys is: how can each installation of windows cause different and random problems? If it's hardware related shouldn't the same problems persist? Why did the trial work great, and the official release suck? lol

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Asmodean,

Can you identify any processes with the task manager that use up a lot of CPU or memory when the computer becomes slow?

It seems like twice the problem was related to your browser (firefox), what happens if you use a different browser (like chrome) and play youtube movies?

The problem could be varied, but considering its a new install each time and u install firefox on it I'm looking there or at some bad drivers that are installed default with your Windows 7 version.
Did you run windows update and installed the driver updates that show in your optional updates?

Hope to help,

Mythio

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay so I can open as many firefox windows as I want with this latest Windows 7 Install without it freezing. But I notice jerkiness or lag in video. During internet video play, 20 percent is used by plugin-container.exe which is part of firefox. The other 80% is system idle. It like I trade one inconvenience for another. Lame!

Oh ya, and I tried chrome, which was awesome, but it wasn't customizable, like turning off auto image resizing lol. So it's fast and works great, but sucks because you're forced to use their [bleep] settings.

Edited by Asmodean, 02 December 2010 - 08:05 PM.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Asmodean,

Considering you are experiencing lag in video when using Firefox.
Have you tried updating the driver of the videocard in your system?
This could help with the video lag issues.

Otherwise, when you experience lag on a movie in firefox, open the exact same video with the exact same link in Internet Explorer (should be on your computer) or any other browser and see if they both log or not.

Hope to help,

Mythio

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ya it does it in Internet Explorer as well.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Asmodean,

Since its not browsing specific, but seems to depend on watching video etc im going with the drivers.
So did you try updating the videocard drivers?

Hope to help,

Mythio

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well the video only seems to be a problem on this latest install. My problems in the past had nothing to do with video. But anyway, yes they are the newest drivers.

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think I'm just gonna have to get used to firefox crashing and videos lagging. Thanks guys.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi asmodean,

Sorry for not replying. I seemed to have overlooked your topic.
I'm thinking your pretty might be related to your internet. Do you have problems with slow download speeds? What kind of internet do you have?

Sorry for the late reply,

Mythio

Asmodean

Asmodean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
My internet isn't the greatest, but the videos in question i let load to 100 percent before even pressing play.

Here's a new weird thing going on: Programs are disappearing off my computer! I had nero burning rom, and then one day it was gone. I went into program files, and it was gone. Then I did a search, no results. Then utorrent disappeard. Did a search, no utorrent, but when I restarted, utorrent runs on bootup, so it still boots up somehow, but it's gone from my start menu. Why is my computer just doing stuff? lol

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Asmodean,

Since this keeps getting weirder and weirder I'd like to make sure first you are not dealing with some sort of infection.
Follow the instructions here and post a log in the right forum. If it turns out you are clean we can look again.
I'll do some research in the mean time for similar cases where programs just disappear, but lets first make sure your malware free :-)

Mythio

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Then I did a search, no results. Then utorrent disappeard. Did a search, no utorrent, but when I restarted, utorrent runs on bootup, so it still boots up somehow, but it's gone from my start menu. Why is my computer just doing stuff?

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also is Java and Flash up to date?