Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no LAN or Wifi

• Please log in to reply

jillhc

jillhc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
This Toshiba Satellite running Vista SP2 started having trouble with the wifi initially and the CPU was constantly very busy. Now I can't connect to the internet at all. The LAN says it is not connected, but when I plug in the cable the green light comes on as if it knows it's there.
On startup, it always says it has found a new hardware - unknown device and then eventually it will tell me that the driver software installation failed - this is apparently pointing to Eset firewall miniport. I have uninstalled Eset and reinstalled it (which made it worse because it cannot update the database without an internet connection!). Also an error on startup - Windows script host - liveupdate.js - system cannot find the file specified.
I have run SpyBot and Malwarebytes - no problems identified.
I am confused about this - hardware or software fault?
Can you help me sort this out?

Advertisements

jillhc

jillhc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
don't worry - system restore worked

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Thats good to hear
Well done!
Sometimes System Restore can be a really good help
:D
Regards
paws

sennydell

sennydell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Most real-time systems focus on fault-tolerant hardware or software. software or hardware fault tolerance is often overlooked. Its really surprising, because the hardware components are much higher than the reliability of the software that runs on them. Most system designers make great efforts to minimize the consequences of a hardware failure on system performance.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Most real-time systems focus on fault-tolerant hardware or software. software or hardware fault tolerance is often overlooked. Its really surprising, because the hardware components are much higher than the reliability of the software that runs on them. Most system designers make great efforts to minimize the consequences of a hardware failure on system performance.

Wut? :D