Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless connection dropping every 30 seconds

• Please log in to reply

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I have a wireless home network with a Linkys wireless router with a broadband connection through my cable provider. Until recently, we had two laptops, both with windows xp, that connect to the internet through this router. We have never had any problems with these connections until I bought my daughter a laptop this past Friday with windows 7. Now both of the wireless connections on the laptops with xp drop every 30 seconds or so and then reconnects in a continuous cycle while the new windows 7 laptop is connected to the internet. Once the windows 7 laptop is disconnected from the wireless internet, the other two laptops go back to connecting normally again. I should mention that while this is going on, the windows 7 laptop appears to stay connected to the laptop, but is very slow. Please help us!! Thanks!

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Try this. turn off the modem and then the router and then all the computers. let them all stay off for a minute. then turn on the modem wait 30 seconds and then the router wait 30 seconds and then the win 7 pc. Try the internet and see how it works. Then turn on the other two computers one by one and see if they connect. do you have security set up on the router?

jrsummersill1

jrsummersill1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Thanks for the quick reply! First, yes, my network is secure. I believe it is a wep key. So I tried your suggestion, in the exact order you said to do it in and unfortunately, it did not work. Also, one of the other laptops is vista, not xp. The windows 7 computer has a wireless slide on/off button, when it is off the other two computers connect just fine. When it is on, they do the previously described on/off cycle. If it helps, the windows 7 computer has a atheros ar9285 wireless network adapter. Maybe it is in the setting with the router? I just don't know. I did make sure that all the computers are on same workgroup. Anymore suggestions? Thanks again.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts
my network is secure. I believe it is a wep key
WEP is better than nothing...but is NOT secure
WPA2 if your hardware supports it is best, but otherwise use WPA

Can you do a system Restore on your Win 7 computer to a time before the trouble started?
Regards
paws

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What you described is a new one for me. You can try this. In the windows vista pc make sure you're connected to the internet and then go to start then click on run and type in CMD

when the window comes up type in IPCONFIG /ALL and press enter. You need to take a screen shot of what you see in the black window and post it in the forums.

MAKE sure you don't leave any personal info in the screen shot or the "physical address" of the wireless card.

You need to do the same exact thing with the windows 7 pc and post that as well.

to take a screen shot press the "Ctrl" button and hold it, then press the "Prt Scr' button located just the right of the F12 button on the keyboard. Now the full desk top has been copied as an image. Next open the windows paint program and look for the "paste button" or the paste option in the drop down menu and paste it into the window. At this point you should see your screen shot. Edit it so as to only show the black window if possible. Save the image to desktop and then post it in the forums.

Remember to do it with the windows 7 computer and the windows vista computer.

This is an example of one screen shot:

Attached Thumbnails

• Image1.png