Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Video Card (GeForce 470) BSODs and Cold Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply

Nim Chimpsky

Nim Chimpsky

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently bought and installed a new GeForce 470 from Newegg, and have had nothing but problems since. I would like help diagnosing the specific problems, and please excuse any minor violations in forum protocol, as this is my first post.

Some relevant a priori knowledge:
Mobo: P5N32-E SLI (2006)
Power Supply: some 700 W eco green power supply (2006)
Case: Antec 900 (2006) Note: One six-pin modular is attached directly to the supply, another six-pin split into 2 4-pin molex-es piggy-backing off of fan 4-pins
Near-everything else can be seen in the attached DxDiag.

During installation, I reseated near-everything in the case to fit the monstrous size of the card, including RAM, CPU fan, and cables. Upon playing some games after insuring that everything was seated properly, I was victimized by a series of BSODs (not attached) and cold shutdowns. Further investigation revealed these were the result of irresponsible CPU fan reattachment (the CPU fan wasn't touching the CPU, resulting in overheating of the CPU to ~ 90 C).

After fixing this, further game time resulted in more BSODs, and recently, cold shutdowns have begun. Checking other forums seemed to indicate that this was a power supply issue (often scapegoated), and it certainly may be. If you note the age of the power supply in relation to capacitor aging, and the power-hogging case Antec built, this may be true. I have saved some BSOD information, all of different error codes, and attached them.

Could this problem be the result of a faulty card, bad drivers, fried mobo or cpu, lack of adequate power, or circumstantially unrelated RAM/power supply faulting, or something else entirely?

Aside: Running in safe mode sometimes results in BSODs or cold shutdowns (BSODs are much more common, however; both in and out of safe mode). I have not run memtest, nor have I re-attached my old graphics card and remove the new one, as I assume that it is, indeed, graphics card-related. The second benchmark test on the card ran properly, but upon completion BSODed out.

Attached File  bsods.txt   6.66KB   33 downloads
Attached File  DxDiag.txt   46.13KB   41 downloads

Thanks,
Nim

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi Nim, :D

Note: One six-pin modular is attached directly to the supply, another six-pin split into 2 4-pin Molex-es piggy-backing off of fan 4-pins

I think that second connection is not correct. 2 PCI connections directly from the PSU should be used. View the pics on this full review, >
http://www.hardwarec...0-review-9.html

Edited by iammykyl, 30 November 2010 - 04:21 AM.

Nim Chimpsky

Nim Chimpsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
While I think you may be correct, the (only) 6-pin was included with my power supply, and the 6-pin to two 4-pins was included with the graphics card.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Try these programs and post back with screen shots if possible. We can look over the results and give you an opinion. You may see issues on your own after running them but please post back with any results.

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

http://www.memtest86.com/

This program will stress your graphics card ** Make sure you have a good understanding of how this program works**
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
When reattatching the CPU heatsink and fan, did you clean off the old gunk? Did you apply the corredct amount of good quality TIM paste?

Nim Chimpsky

Nim Chimpsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

When reattatching the CPU heatsink and fan, did you clean off the old gunk? Did you apply the corredct amount of good quality TIM paste?

Yes, I cleaned it and afterwards have checked the temperature under-load and full-load, both are normal (usually around 50-60 C).

The FurMark was the benchmark I mentioned using before.

I am about to run memtest and will post the results afterward.

Edited by Nim Chimpsky, 01 December 2010 - 04:50 PM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
If you have more than one stick of ram then remove all but one stick and see it fixes the issue. If not then change the stick with another one and test.

Nim Chimpsky

Nim Chimpsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry for the delay, I had a math test this week to prepare for. Regardless, I had a friend run FurMark on the card several times and play games/watch movies on it with no problems. During this time I attempted to run memtest/update the bios with my old card (8800 GTS). Putting it back in my case results in no post, but the fans still run. I unplugged and reseated everything, taking out the unnecessaries (sound card, 3/4 sticks of ram, fans) with the same result.

Could it be that this is the result of that prolonged ~90 C temperature [bleep] that the CPU went through for a few days? Is it that the power supply burned out trying to power that beast, the 470, through an old, likely under-amped 12v rail? Is the mobo fried? What should I do at this point, now that the graphics card as a problem is all but eliminated?

My power supply: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817159058

Friend's power supply: http://www.newegg.co...9-006-_-Product

My card: http://www.newegg.co...0-550-_-Product

I am not really sure how to check if the amperage on the rails is sufficient (for instance, it states on newegg that the recommended amperage is 38v on a 12v rail, but I am not sure if this is total for both 6-pins or what, and as you can see on my power supply's page, the amperage on each doesn't go above around 20 for the 12v rails).

Edited by Nim Chimpsky, 03 December 2010 - 01:33 AM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I would put another power supply in the your case and try it. Your psu says it has 2 pci 6 pin connectors and you said you used a splitter on one of the 6 pin connectors, one for a fan and one for the card . (not good)

From what I see, and I could be wrong but your psu is under powered for that card.

The card needs: System Requirements a Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)

Max output on your psu +12V2@25A

Your friends psu puts out +12V@60A

The bsod errors point to driver issues with the card and or possibly some software on your system. This could all be directly related to the power supply tho.

Nim Chimpsky

Nim Chimpsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Today I borrowed the power supply from my friend mentioned above to test my board/cpu/old gpu setup. All the fans go on, and an audible sound is heard as before, but the results are replicated from my power supply: no display, monitor continues in sleep mode. Does this mean my motherboard died or my CPU fried (and I'm not sure whether or not I will be able to switch out my CPU with my friend's, as he knows that I likely fried mine)?

Edited by Nim Chimpsky, 06 December 2010 - 12:00 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
What audible sound is heard? Is it a beep or series of beeps?

Did you use 2 correct PCI_E cables directly from the PSU to the video card?

Nim Chimpsky

Nim Chimpsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I mentioned I went back to my old video card (single pci-e); Incidentally, the sound came merely from the hard drive, and not any POST beeping or anything like that, as it couldn't be replicated when I unplugged my hard drive.

I am presently resetting the CMOS, just in case.

Edited by Nim Chimpsky, 06 December 2010 - 03:06 AM.