Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just built new Windows 7 64bit machine, only posts 50% of the time.

• Please log in to reply

spee2k10

spee2k10

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, as in my title. I've just built a new windows 7 64bit home prem. machine for use as an HTPC, the problems I am having are as follow:-

Firstly, I should mention that one of the sticks of RAM I put in the PC was corrupted which caused all sorts of issues but on removing that a lot cleared up but I am still left with the following issues. (windows memory diagnostic also confirmed this stick has errors). Also with the bad stick of RAM out I have run the Hload (Heavy Load) stress testing program for in excess of 4 hours with no problems.

Also when I first powered on the system I had an old copy of windows XP on the HDD which started to load up, could this have somehow corrupted the motherboard as it is specifically designed for Win7/Vista?

Problems remaining:-

1. Powering on the system from a cold start results in a blank screen (No BIOS/POST Screen) then on powering down and trying again it works and proceeds to load windows.

2. When returning from sleep I get similar issues as above, the system hangs before the post screen, but sometimes it works.

3. Using windows reset or the motherboard reset button also makes it hang before the POST screen 50% of the time.

The system specification is as follows:-

CPU Intel E7500 Core2Duo 2.93 GHz

Mobo ASUS P5G41T-M LX

RAM OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz (of which I am only using one stick as one is faulty according to windows memory diagnostic)

Graphics card EVGA GeForce GT 430 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

TV Card Hauppauge HVR1700 PCI-E

HDD Western Digital 2500YS 250GB SATA

PSU Antec 350Watt ATX

DVD Drive Pioneer OEM Writer

This looks to be a hardware fault, although I could be wrong.

My question is, which piece of hardware is it, could it be a bad motherboard or PSU, or would doing somthing like reflashing the BIOS work, or reformatting windows?

Thankyou for reading my post and any advice you can give!

Tom.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Tom, :D

Your problem could be your PSU.

link to your Mobo product page, > http://www.evga.com/...&family=GeForce 400 Series Family&sw= note, Minimum 300w recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amps.)
Your 350w does not leave much headroom when it is stressed. If this is your PSU, > http://www.antec.com...duct.php?id=Njg= There is not quite enough amps on the 12v rail.

Edited by iammykyl, 30 November 2010 - 05:15 AM.

spee2k10

spee2k10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, iammykyl,

Thanks for the speedy reply :D

The PSU was one I had second hand so im not supprised if it is the culprit, thanks for putting me on to this train of thought as it means (I hope) that nothing is damaged other than that stick of RAM that I removed, and ordering a new PSU is a lot less hassle than pulling out the mobo for a return ;)

I'll keep this thread posted on my progress.

Thankyou again for your help.

Tom.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

I would advise selecting a modular PSU, 500W TO 650W. Although more power than you need, a good quality brand will last for years, enable you to upgrade or move to another build. something like the 550w or 650w here, > http://www.antec.com...php?Family=MjM2

I would RMA that RAM and make sure the type and speed is on the Mobo product page QVL.

Edited by iammykyl, 30 November 2010 - 06:03 AM.

spee2k10

spee2k10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, ive looked at the usual place I buy parts from and found a supply with a 22A current rateing so it meets the minimum standard and seems to be very power efficient... Antec 500 watt PSU

Seems to be the best choice for the money, and should allow me to add at least another hard disk should space be required.

Does this look ok to you iammykyl?

Thanks again.

Tom

Edited by spee2k10, 30 November 2010 - 06:17 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Yes, that PSU will do the job nicely.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Another option and definitely worth the extra cash outlay http://www.novatech....su-650txuk.html