Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message - Windows unable to start because the registry cannot be

• Please log in to reply

MickM9

MickM9

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, Ive seen this topic a few times and from I can see it is a fairly common problem, however I havent yet found a topic that helps me as they mostly refer to rebooting from a recovery disk, I cant do this as the computer effected is just an Elonex webbook which doesnt have a cd.

So whats happened is this;

The laptop installed some automatic updates and now wont restart properly, basically its running through what looks like a normal boot up and I get the Windows XP logo as normal, however then I get an error message, in full;

"An error has been encountered that prevents Set up from continuing

Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. To address this problem, please contact your computer manufacturer. Windows must now Shut Down.

Press OK to view the set up file."

The set up file simply shows exactly the same error.

Im not very technical but I did go into the F12 option I get at start up before Windows tries to launch, in here I tried all of the options, Restore Windows, Format C and restore Windows, Scandisk C and Reboot.

Nothing works as I still get the same error message when I try to restart the computer.

I have also used the F8 button to get into the bios settings (?) but the options in there were way over my head so I didnt change anything.

As you might gather by my feeble efforts so far Im not very technical minded so I havent a clue what to do next, I dont really just want to give up on the laptop as its a handy little tool so if theres anyone out there who can help me get this fixed Id really appreciate it.

Cheers
Mick

Advertisements