Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SD Card Reader Issues

• Please log in to reply

twoearphones

twoearphones

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

As the title suggest, my card reader is not working properly. Whenever I put a card in, it won't show up on the computer unless the card is locked (slider on the side). I've tried putting in a microSD adapter, and a SDHC class 6, 4gb and it's the same situation for both.
Because the card is locked so I can't move, copy, delete, etc... files using the card reader, I had to access the data via my phone and my camera.

Other information that may be relevant:
- I use DELL Inspiron 1545
- The other day (or week) when I was opening system configuration to disable a few start up programs, I notice one called "FolderRaper", command "D:/DCIM.exe". Um... that didn't sound very nice so I disabled it from startup. I tried checking its location a few days ago but it's not there anymore, it might have been removed after I scanned my computer with Malware-bytes ?
- The adapter worked fine before this whole hair-pulling frustrating fiasco. It might have started with the SDHC card (but I'm not so sure). The first time I plugged the SDHC in, it didn't read. I only knew I can see files on it just recently when I played with the Lock slider.

So can you guys help me with this, or direct me to the topic ? I tried searching but didn't find something similar. Should I start hiring someone to dissect my computer ? ;____;

Thanks in advance !

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It may ( I stress may) be the card reader itself, so at least that probability needs either eliminating or confirming first. That would involve either borrowing a card reader and trying that in your PC, or plugging your reader into someone else's PC and trying it there. Then post with the outcome of those tests.

It would move things forward in the right direction at least.

In any event, new card readers are by no means expensive so it would perhaps be easiest just to take a small gamble and buy one.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 30 November 2010 - 10:56 AM.