Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dektop Randomly Freezing

• Please log in to reply

midpoint

midpoint

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello all,

I am having a problem with my desktop randomly freezing. The problem can occur at any time, with seemingly no pattern to it. I can’t reproduce the problem through any sequence, it just happens on its own, perhaps once or twice a day.

When it crashes the computer instantly freezes up, if there is any music playing it freezes at the same time and the speakers or headphones loudly buzz for about 10 seconds or so before they go silent. If I leave the computer in this state I can hear one of the fans slowly speeding up after a minute or so. There are no blue screens or any error messages, it just freezes. The computer can only be brought back to life by a holding the power button down to get it to restart. When I restart the computer everything appears to work as normal.

I assume it is either a temperamental component or a piece of software which I have installed. If it is of any help my desktop set up is:

AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6 GHz Processor
Acer FRX780M Motherboard
6GB Samsung RAM (2 x 2GB and 2 x 1GB)
ATI 4870 1GB Graphics Card
Western Digital 640GB Hard Drive (OS and Programs)
Hitachi 1TB Hard Drive (For files)

The system is kept fully up to date, and I use Microsoft Security Essentials as anti-virus.

I have tried everything I can think of; including wiping the machine using my retail Win 7 Pro install disc, and reinstalling software, and the problem is still there. I’ve had it open and cleaned it and checked the connections and they all seem to be ok.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
http://www.almico.co...screenshots.php check your temps.

http://www.memtest86.com/ For testing ram.

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the reply D-Berd, I've got memtest running now so hopefully that will shed some light on things. When I'm running SpeedFan what should I look out for?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take a screenshot of the Speedfan window like in the picture.
Save it as a jpeg file type and attach it to your next reply. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If I may just chip in, you have not posted the PSU details is it the originally fitted 400W type?

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the replies,

I have run memtest86 and it took a while but reports no errors. I couldn't run memtest86 version 3.5 for some reason, but version 3.4 ran fine.

The results for SpeedFan are below, top is computer after boot, bottom are results if I'm using it for rendering.

Posted Image

RE: phillpower2
The PSU is the standard fit one, I didn't have the details for it, so I've taken the side panel off and the details are:

Posted Image

Any thoughts?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the PSU details :D the +12V rail looks the culprit but I am sure rshaffer61 will have other tests for you to carry out.

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes it seems that way, I'll admit I had no idea what a +12v rail was, but I've just Googled and came accross loads of sites about it. None seem to be as low as mine though! :D

Will this mean getting and fitting a new PSU? Is it likely to have damaged anything else?

Edited by midpoint, 30 November 2010 - 03:36 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thanks for the PSU details :D the +12V rail looks the culprit but I am sure rshaffer61 will have other tests for you to carry out.

Nope spot on Phill.
I saw that and thought well here is the culprit.
A fluctuating 12volt rail is causing all this mess. I would suggest going with a name brand PSU like Corsair.
500 Watt 80+ certified.
Cost a little more but reliability and dependable is the name of the game here.
Now this doesn't mean something else has not been corrupted but I'm willing to bet this is the main cause of the issues you are having. ;)

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
You could go into the bios and check the voltages and temps there just to compare. that's too low for output on the +12..... GREAT job on uploading pics,

Edited by D-Berd, 30 November 2010 - 03:49 PM.

Advertisements

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I'll go into BIOS and then post what it says.

Edited by midpoint, 30 November 2010 - 04:04 PM.

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Posted Image

:D Have I got the right screen here? +12v here looks a lot more like 12v in the BIOS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep but I can almost say for sure thats because the drivers used in DOS do not stress the PSU. You are using generic dos drivers with no added power needs since you are looking at the cmos so nothing is being used like it would in the OS.

midpoint

midpoint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I'll purchase and fit a new *good quality* PSU and then I'll update this thread with the results. Many thanks to everyone for the help so far. Fingers crossed!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make sure it is at least 500 watts. We will watch for your results. :D