Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK dosn't run on reboot when scheduled - Tryed everything

• Please log in to reply

arandis

arandis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, (I know this has been posted before(sorry) but I need help and havent found the solution yet)...

I came across this problem a couple days ago, I went to defrag my computer(work laptop) and i get this error:
"Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume ©.
Please run Chkdsk/f."

I started by running the CHKDSK /f (run>cmd and then run CHKDSK /f C: reboot and nothing).
I've looked up the solution to this problem and NOTHING has solved this issue I'm having.
CHKDSK(read-only) comes back with 3 errors.
CHKDSK wont even run on start up if scheduled too, and I cannot run it because it says its "scheduled" to run (even when its not).
fsutil dirty query c: comes back -'DIRTY'

I did the whole:
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Please note the spaces in the following commands.)

* chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default)
* chkntfs /c C: ..... (This will allow checking drive C:)
* fsutil dirty query c: ..... (This queries the drive and will most likely tell you that it is dirty)
* chkntfs /x c: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)

At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)

* chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation)

* Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
-----

This seems to be the common "solution", but for me this hasent solved anything.
C: comes back as DIRTY and nothing I've tryed has resolved this.
CHKDSK dosen't even attempt to run at start up. I've checked the scheduler-nothing in there. I've tryed everything I can think of except re-install XP. (If i reboot this computer one more time its gonna slap me lol)

This problem is happening on my work laptop, I run all the same programs on my home desktop and its fine.

Its not like this is effecting my computers performance, but its driving me crazy not being able to resolve this.

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Arandis,

Considering its a work laptop I'm assuming you are not the one that scheduled chkdsk to run at startup.
I think your best bet would be to go to the IT department of your work as they are the ones that should give tech support on work laptops.
You never know, there might be a good reason they configured the computer as it is now.

Hope to help,

Mythio

arandis

arandis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Mythio,
My work employs 11 people, we have no IT department :D
this laptop is basically mine and I've had for about a year now.

I have a dirty Bit and chkdsk wont run at start up to solve this.
its just frustrating when [bleep] dosent work when its suppose to

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Arandis,

From what I gather the command chkdsk /r wont run when your in normal windows because it says its scheduled to run.

I've found a few cases that solved this by either:

1. Booting in safemode and running chkdsk /r there

or if that fails:

2. Booting with the CD, going into the recovery console and running chkdsk /r there.

I've heard that especially the second option works to reset the dirty bit and keep it reset so chkdsk wont run at startup anymore.
Have you tried these two options?
If not I'd suggest beginning with option 1, as its easier to do then 2.

Hope to help,

Mythio

arandis

arandis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Mythio,

Booting in safe mode and chkdsk /r(/anything) dosent work.

If i could find the CD to boot the recovery console I will (finding software CD's sounds easier than is haha).

For now I think I just have to live with this stupid error :D

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Arandis,

True that, finding CD's when you need them is a total nightmare.
It is not necessary to use the exact CD used for install.
Maybe you can borrow a Windows XP CD from someone to run the recovery console.

Mythio