Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New install having problems maximizing

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Finally got our computer up and running, had to clean harddrive out and do a fresh install. I am having problems getting things back to normal. I downloaded winamp and cannot get it to maximize, there doesnt seem to to a maximize button, only minimize. Do I need glasses? As well never heard of google chrome, would not let me down load so have taken it off and back to ie. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Winamp I think I can help with.
Top left of time window click on the little squiggly line thing. In there you will find Options.
When you get there you will see Double Size.
Now it's larger and you can stretch the other windows to match up if you want. :D

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thank you that looked like what I need, but clicking on it stetched out the top bar only. Now clicking on the shortcut opens a bar at the bottom but will not open program. Geez nice clean computer, thought it would be a little easier setting it all up. Now what?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here's what mine looks like when opened.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Mine has only the top of that showing, I tried changing the screen size now messed everything. I uninstalled and in search still found winamp. Tried downloading from c drive and now have one big mess. Duplicate winamp files everywhere, can I back date to yesterday and get rid of this whole mess? Could just cry waiting for this computer for ever.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok if you only have the top one then that is the main window.
If you click on that little squiggly line thing again Step 1
It will open up the other window where Options is. Step 2
Instead of clicking on options you will see two entries named:
Playlist Editor Step 3
Equalizer Step 4

Click both of these and the other two windows will appear.
You will have to stretch them out to fit the main window and make sure they connect each other or they won't all move at one time when you move the main window around.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
K thanks, will try that. But I have downloaded twice and uninstalled twice. It all shows up when I type winamp in search. If I download again will I get another 20 or so files? I would like to clean those up and start fresh. How can I do that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have remnants of the files is what you are saying?
Try this:
Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall.. In your case anything about winamp.
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thanks for staying with me on this. Downloaded Revo and have a short cut icon, Double click does nothing. There is something just not working right here. Right click on icon brings up menu, open, run as, install with revo, uninstallation pro, scan, sent to etc. Nothing works when clicked on. I paid good money to have this computer set up, my old computer kept running with help from you guys for 10 years. Grrrrrr

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we need to do some diagnostics to see what we can find.
Lets start with the disk integrity and make sure that is good.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Tried that and when I run it a small black window pops up and disappears right away. Lost

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Back to square one, manually deleted and everything seems to be gone. Now do I attempt to download winamp again? and go through all this again, will you be here to help me through this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Where are you trying to download winamp from and what version?
Official site HERE
Older versions are HERE
Let me ask what OS are you running?
Your profile shows Win98?

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Will attempt to download winamp again from winamp.com. As said earlier got rid of all files related to winamp except somehow I have winamp search on my tool bar? Thanks for your prompt replies, I am quite sure I will be back.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The winamp search is a toolbar for your browser.
You will need to disable it on your browser to get rid of it.
To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

Firefox:

* Go to Start and then to Run
* Type in firefox -safe-mode
* A window will popup asking things that you want to disable or reset (eg: reset/disable bookmarks/toolbars, etc.)
* Click Disable all add-ons and press Restart for the changes to take effect.