Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

$mft is not located within it's reserved space on C:

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
why do i always get the wierd problems

i was running a defragmentation utility when i noticed the large group of black boxes marked as reserved mft space. i clicked around a bit and noticed all of these boxes were empty execpt for the first and last reserved block which contained some trivial files but the MFT was not in any of them. that the actual mft was located no where near this reserved space but infact it was located near the begining of the drive using 3 blocks and sharing 2 more blocks with temporary internet files ?? W T F
i ran a boot time defragmentation but since $mft had 0 fragments it was not moved back into it's reserved space.

my question is

1)how the heck the mft got out of it's reserved area
2)how the heck can i put it back????

The position it is currently occupying is used by as i said earlier temp internet files and a garunteed recipie for massive fragmentation later on as it grows.

this happened on my external drive once but because it is not a system volume it can be defragmented like any other file but now it is happening on C

Edited by mikeloeven, 30 November 2010 - 10:43 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It looks like your master file table has been corrupted. Run testdisk to fix the mft files so you can run the checkdisk utility to fix the MFT.

http://www.cgsecurit...stDisk_Download

SRX660

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
if my $MFT was corrupted wouldn't i be expiriancing massive data loss and operating system instability???

i have seen damaged disks and corrupted MFT's before and the machines nearly always crashed on boot or were missing critical system files. my computer runs fine ?

by the way could you walk me through the proceedure to fix the mft using testdisk i have never used this utility before

Edited by mikeloeven, 01 December 2010 - 01:09 PM.