Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

your guys thought?

• Please log in to reply

ocflyboy101

ocflyboy101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
whats up guys new to the boards....

just wanted to see what you guys think looking for opinions/suggestions!

i just recently bought a Gateway FX 6840 Model

it comes with

I7 Intel Processor
8 Gigs Ram
1tb
500 W
** and i think a nice ATI graphics card!

it cost me $1200 exactly...

Now: i was wondering if i could custom built a computer with better quality performance or what ever it is... i don't mind spending up to 1500-1700 as long as its a very fast computer ( i don't use it for gaming or anything just everyday use)

Thanks In Advance Guys!!!!

:D

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Octflyboy101, :D

Unless you are performing intensive photo or video editing, in my opinion, In everyday use you would not see any discernible increase in performance by spending $1700 on a new build.

You can however get a little more speed performance, especially on boot up, by installing a SSD using it for the OS and moving the data to the existing drive.

Depending on what video card you have? an upgrade may improve video performance.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you already have an i7 processor, it doesn't get any better than that, realistically.
Also for non-gaming use and internet use you don't need an i7 for that anyway.

ocflyboy101

ocflyboy101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you already have an i7 processor, it doesn't get any better than that, realistically.
Also for non-gaming use and internet use you don't need an i7 for that anyway.

yeah im really realizing that now... thank you guys for the support honestly!!!!

best of luck