Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the current hardware situation?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

silentgoldfish

silentgoldfish

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's been four years and I'm thinking it's about time to get a new computer. Problem is, I haven't really kept up with what the current hardware out there is - when I put together my current system a Core2Duo was still near top of the line and 2GB of RAM was plenty. I played around with selecting every top of the line bit of equipment just to see the price and it was about 3k, which seems a bit steep when I'm not needing a new monitor!

I'd like to reasonably future proof for 3-4 years without going overboard on top of the line gear that'll never see it's full potential with me.

Who're currently seen as faster/more stable, intel or AMD? What are considered to be mid-high end processors these days? Are Quad Core still where it's at?
What's a good amount of RAM for Windows 7 where other than games I'm not going to be doing really intensive stuff? 4GB?
Who're the current leaders in graphics cards? Last I checked ATI were out in front but that changes all the time.

Just so I don't wind up accidentally getting a dud, who's considered a really stable motherboard manufacturer? I'm using a Gigabit one and I've never had a hardware problem so I'd like that trend to continue!

Last but not least, what's the advantage of 64bit over 32bit Windows7? Which is the better option in a new computer?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Duplicate topic
Closed