Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deep Freeze

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

Just wondering if Deep Freeze will remove viruses during a reboot. A friends kids keep getting viruses and thinking it would save some trouble removing them. Anyone have any experience with using Deep Freeze keeping computer clean?

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Reddoug,

The problem with Deep Freeze is that it only protects against malware when you reboot the computer.
That means, it doesn't offer real time protection. When the computer is rebooted, everything is reset (which also means any settings or any data stored in any program is gone).
However this doesn't protect your computer in the time between infection and the next reboot.

Personally, I would find it very annoying to loose all changes/settings etc every time I reboot, for example just the Internet history of my browser and stored passwords/usernames would give me a headache to redo everytime I reboot...
In my opinion a good antivirus and antispyware program, and common sense when using the computer will give you a much more pleasurable computer experience :-)

Also, if your friend keeps getting viruses, he should really think hard on how he is getting them...and not do that anymore.

Hope to help,

Mythio

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also, if your friend keeps getting viruses, he should really think hard on how he is getting them...and not do that anymore.

I agree completely. Apparently your friend is downloading or visiting sites that are notorious for malware.
Something that might help is WOT or Web Of Trust located HERE.
Description as followed from the link above:

The WOT add-on is a safe surfing tool for your browser. Our traffic-light rating symbols show which websites you can trust for safe surfing, shopping and searching on the web.

* WOT is free and easy-to-use
* Our active community has rated millions of websites
* Ratings are updated every half hour
* Our trusted sources provide extra protection against phishing, spam and other Internet scams

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi and thanks for the reply's.

Some kids do not know not to click on scareware when it pops up. Was just thinking of an easier way to get rid of bugs. I know that they would have to disable Deep Freeze if they want to make any changes. Was looking for an easier for them to reset after they encountered a problem. This last time they tried to remove problems and made computer unbootable. Could not get it to boot into safe mode. They did not have anything important so I wiped the drive and did a fresh install.

Thanks again, Doug

sennydell

sennydell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Deep Freeze is a put your machine in a deeply frozen state. When you restart your system, everything is back to normal. Its like if you bring your computer to the freshness and the latest possible state.