Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing connection and bandwidth priority

• Please log in to reply

Simondo

Simondo

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi

Just wondering if it is possible for me to assign a set amount of bandwidth to different ports on my router? I share a connection with up to 4 other PC's, all of which may use Youtube, Facebook and Skype video calls thus crippling the connection. I want to set say 50% of the bandwidth to one port, which none of the other PC's on the network can touch meaning my connection doesn't spike. Is this possible? I don't believe it will be possible with my current router, so suggestions as to which router to get would be appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure what i'm asking, or if its even possible so i hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What router are you using? What is the name and model #

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Netgear DG834G

Thanks

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Is this your router? http://support.cslox.../netgaer834.pdf

From what I have read, there isn't really a page to configure the router to do what you're wanting it to do (QOS, quality of service). You may be able to download a firmware update and maybe that feature will be added. But from what I can tell it's not a feature incorporated into the router at this time. There is an alternative method tho, You could install a third party firmware like http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato or http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index There is RISK involved with doing this, and if done incorrectly it could render your router useless. AKA "brick"

Edited by D-Berd, 01 December 2010 - 06:45 PM.

Simondo

Simondo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Ok thanks for the reply. I am not too familiar with firmware so im not sure im willing to risk installing some from a 3rd party. However if my router is unable to do this im happy to buy a different one. Are there any you would recommend? or is it just a case of me shopping around for one that is QoS enabled?

Thanks.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Yeah, I personally like Linksys, I guess it depends on your budget and the capabilities of the router. What I would do is check the capabilities of routers in your price range and research the QOS functions on the router company's web site, check user forums, things like that. See what other people are saying about its functionality and quality. Common sense stuff. Good luck. :D