Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAMM

• Please log in to reply

EPIPHANY89

EPIPHANY89

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello im pretty lame (caveman stylee) when dealing with computers but can any 1 help me out...

Why is my computer (vista) running between 70%-85% of RAM when no programs are running?

Its always taken ages to load web pages/programs ect...I defrag often and disc clean up but still it runns so slow

also i have a problem opening sum web sites or clicking on links

i tried to reset my passord for myspace but this happens wen i click on the link they suplied me..

http://webmail.tisca...valid_image.gif

any help would be ace

Gary

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
How much ram do you have installed?

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Remove all startup programs except your antivirus and firewall using ccleaner slim:

http://majorgeeks.co...Slim_d4191.html

tools/startup/highlight/delete

Edited by zbd, 01 December 2010 - 04:45 PM.

EPIPHANY89

EPIPHANY89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

How much ram do you have installed?

1 GB

tried that reg cleaner and cleaned loads of stuff off but still RAMM is maxed out:(

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Do this, Go to this link and download http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/ the one you want is in the top right of the window and it says

"Download
Latest Version

2.83MB

After downloading right click on the file and select run as administrator and then Install it and then open the program up and go to the "Tools" Tab

After you're on the page click on the button that says "Start Up"

This will show you a list of all the programs that start when windows starts.

Down at the bottom right of the page click on the "Save to txt file...."Button and Save the text file and post it back here.

Edited by D-Berd, 01 December 2010 - 06:11 PM.

EPIPHANY89

EPIPHANY89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hiya here you goAttached File  startup.txt   2.61KB   115 downloads

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
OK go to Ccleaner Go to tools......click on the start up button.......Highlight the programs that I have listed below and disable them ""DO Not delete them"" You can also right click on each item and select "Disable" this will prevent them from starting up when windows starts. This should save resources and help speed things up. If you run into a problem at start up with error messages then you can go back into the program and reset them to start when windows starts.

ECenter
ISUSScheduler
PDVDDXSrv
dscactivate
ISUSPM Startup
igfxpers.exe
PAC7302_Monitor
RoxWatchTray
hpqSRMon.exe

Windows Sidebar .....If your not using this then it's a good idea to disable it

Next you should use the other features of Ccleaner to clean up your system. If you need help or you don't understand how to use it then post back with questions.

When you finish using Ccleaner, reboot the computer and see how it runs.

You're using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.... This will put a little strain on your system but it's a necessary program.

You should be able to disable Windows Firewall and Windows defender Because Kaspersky has these feature built into the program. There is really no need to have two firewalls running. Windows Defender is another Anti Malware program, Kasper sky has this feature as well. It's up to you if you want to disable it.

EPIPHANY89

EPIPHANY89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
that has helped a bit its down to 65%-68% now how do i switch off windows defender?

also i have only got the side bar open because it has a meter that tells me how much Ramm cou usage im using..normally its not on

also any idears why wen i try to reset my passord for myspace via a link they sent me in an email it redirects me to this page and not a new password

webmail.tiscali.co.uk/cp/images/invalid_image.gif

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Good then :D A little better performance.

Turn Windows Defender on or off

When Windows Defender is on, you will be alerted when spyware and other potentially unwanted software tries to install itself, run on your computer, or change important Windows settings. If you use the default settings, Windows Defender will also check for new definitions, regularly scan for spyware and other potentially unwanted software, and automatically remove any detected item that has a recommended removal action.
http://www.articlesb...ta-1289413.html

1. Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Defender.

2. Click Tools, and then click Options.

3. Under Administrator options, select or clear the Use Windows Defender check box, and then click Save. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Did you use the other features in Ccleaner to remove unneeded files?

A good option would be to buy another 1 gig stick of ram. Kasper Sky uses much of your resources.

You have many options to help speed up your computer, If you spend a little time on Google you can find information. It really all depends on how far you want to go without making the system unstable

As for Myspace, that is something you will have to get them to help you with. The link you posted was not working.

EPIPHANY89

EPIPHANY89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
nyc1 for the help :D yeah i did clean up wiv the reg cleaner ect and all the other features and its running quicker..

thanks for your help and ill probably get more RAMM or is their a better anti virus program that uses less ramm and has all the features of kaspa sky

EPIPHANY89

EPIPHANY89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
also that 5 Ways to Speed Up Windows Vista link you gave me is a big help...so once again thanks soooo much :D