Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot access a web site

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I hope I'm not intruding on your this thread, but I've run into this once before. A friend of mine wasn't able to access his own website which was hosted by another company. It seemed that everyone else was able to access the site, but we determined they had a different ISP and was taking a different route to the site. After going rounds and rounds with Comcast, I got a hold of a guy that really knew his stuff. I sent him what I had so far and he was able to nail things down with the tracert log I sent him. He was able to fix the problem.

I'm not 100% sure what exactly happened in his case, but the guy at his ISP was able to nail things down once I sent him a tracert log of the problem. Do you think that might have anything to do with the problem?

You can get a tracert report if you go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. Once the command prompt loads, type the following command.

tracert www.esalerugs.com > c:\tracert.txt

It will sit there for a little while and then finally return you to the command prompt. Once that's done, you can type exit and press enter. Navigate to your C: drive and you will find a text file called "Tracert.txt". That will be your log.

Please keep in mind, that I'm just throwing an idea out here. rshaffer61 has forgotten more about computers than I know, but thought this might be helpful.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Spyder and in the case of this you are right. I have forgotten a lot about the browsers and how to correct this problem. If you can assist I would be greatly appreciative. :D
I wouldn't know what I'm looking at in that log. ;)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'm not 100% versed in this either, but was able to get it resolved with the help of the extremely intelligent gentleman at my friends ISP. I was able to call them with the IP address of where the route stalled and he took care of the rest. It was a long process to get to someone that was able to help unfortunately. Perhaps we can find out who owns that server in the route and the original poster can give them a call? I just went through his ISP and they solved the problem. If we are lucky, it's one of the ones owned by the poster's ISP.

I"m not an expert in this either, but I'll do everything I can to help. :D

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 03 December 2010 - 10:28 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'll message Dsennette and see if he can help. He is pretty good with this type of issues.
:D

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in your web browser, put 50.22.193.211 in the address bar. does the site load?

Alliewalker

Alliewalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am finally into the site. Putting the number above in worked for me. My ISP is down and esalerugs wouldn't help,so I had no one to send a log to. I want to thank each of you for helping me and your putting up with me. I actually think I might have learned some new things about the computer. I have gone from computer geek to computer advanced geek. Thank you so much again. Have a wonderful day.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear!!! :D
I knew Dsenette would be able to help. ;)
Great job everyone for the help in resolving this issue.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I am finally into the site. Putting the number above in worked for me. My ISP is down and esalerugs wouldn't help,so I had no one to send a log to. I want to thank each of you for helping me and your putting up with me. I actually think I might have learned some new things about the computer. I have gone from computer geek to computer advanced geek. Thank you so much again. Have a wonderful day.

If the IP address works, and not the domain name it is a DNS issue with your ISP. You can use an alternate DNS service like OpenDNS or Google DNS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I really need to brush up on this stuff again. :D

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Actually. my first thought was that his IP address had been banned by the server. Good to see it's resolved.

Advertisements