Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Should I consider any upgrades?

• Please log in to reply

marcksgt

marcksgt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Everyone

I am looking for any opinions on whether I should upgrade any components in my computer. To start, my system works fine now. I am just not up to date with all the new components out there that I may/should consider. I use my system to play WoW, Counterstrike, Diablo, and all the Battlefields.

Motherboard - Asus M4A79 Deluxe
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 3.0 8MB cache
CPU Fan - It is a Triton, did not save box though. Very large fan, uses liquid to cool I believe.
Video Card - GeForce GTX 280 1GB DDR3
RAM - Geil Black Dragon 2 GB x 4 (not sure if this memory is DDR2 or 3)
Power - Corsair TX 850W
Sound Card - None
OS - Vista 64

Let me know if you need any additional info for your recommendations. Thanks for the help out there.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
If you start having performance issues with the system then you could upgrade. But upgrading parts can be a slippery slope if you know what I mean.

You could get a better video card and a faster processor or maybe upgrade your hard drives and set them up with raid. But then why stop there? Faster memory might be good as well or a newer mother board or a stronger power supply or bigger monitor or........ Get the picture? :D
You could do what I do, I just save a little money and sell my old pc to one of my friends and then go out and buy parts to build a new pc.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi.

Specs for your Mobo Memory.

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR2 1300(O.C.)/1200(O.C.)/1066*/800/667 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory Dual Channel memory architecture Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ / AM3 CPU for one DIMM per channel only. Refer to www.asus.com for the memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

Do you play your games maxed out?
Do they run without lag or stutter?

Edited by iammykyl, 02 December 2010 - 02:58 AM.