Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi,

I am getting no sound from my Windows XP desktop when trying to play music, nor when starting the PC. It has 1 speaker inside the tower.

I restarted the computer, checked the "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" for the volume level (high); checked whether it was muted (no); checked the sound scheme (blank), changed the Sound Scheme to "Windows Default" (still did not work); checked for malfunctioning drivers in Device Manager, and even replaced the speaker with another and securely connected the speaker's power cable to the motherboard, and it still did not work. I also checked the CMOS settings to see whether sound was disabled, but found no such options. However, when I connected a pair of external USB speakers, the external speakers worked.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this internal speaker. Thanks

Edited by 01010011, 01 December 2010 - 11:29 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
On Desktop PCs the internal speaker is only for system beeps. Like the single POST beep you usually hear on powerup.

To listen to music you need to connect external speakers to either the little round green (usually) speaker jack on the back of the soundcard or to a USB port, (depending on your speakers of course).

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for your reply SpywareDr. The strange thing is, when I start the computer, I don't hear the Windows startup sound. The only sound I hear is 1 beep. I though this speaker plays the default Windows sounds as well?

Edited by 01010011, 02 December 2010 - 09:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope the little beep you hear is from the motherboard speaker normally.
It looks something like the pic below.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for the reply rshaffer61 and pic.

Ok, so what I am trying to figure out is, why I'm I not getting any music nor any Windows sounds on startup. It worked fine up until yesterday.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Can you list the specs to your computer? It sounds like you're saying that you've always had sound coming from the speaker inside the case if i'm understanding correctly. Are you low on desk space? No room for stereo speakers? :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thanks for the reply rshaffer61 and pic.

Ok, so what I am trying to figure out is, why I'm I not getting any music nor any Windows sounds on startup. It worked fine up until yesterday.

Faulty sound chip
Faulty speakers
Volume turned down or muted
Connection loose

Lets work on each and try them.
Check speaker connection to back of system
Check volume control in windows by doing the following:
Go to Start and The Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
Make sure Master Volume is not muted and turned up
Check Cd Player volume is not muted and turned up

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Can you list the specs to your computer? It sounds like you're saying that you've always had sound coming from the speaker inside the case if i'm understanding correctly. Are you low on desk space? No room for stereo speakers? :D

I figured out the cause of the problem. I think the microphone/headphone jack had a short. When you plug into this jacks it is supposed to silence the speaker. Well after unplugging, it stopped working after that.

I figured out the cause of the problem. I think the microphone/headphone jack had a short. When you plug into this jacks it is supposed to silence the speaker. Well after unplugging, it stopped working after that.

Faulty sound chip
Faulty speakers
Volume turned down or muted
Connection loose

Lets work on each and try them.
Check speaker connection to back of system
Check volume control in windows by doing the following:
Go to Start and The Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
Make sure Master Volume is not muted and turned up
Check Cd Player volume is not muted and turned up

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad you found the cause of the problem. :D
Does this mean your still do not have sound after finding the culprit?
You may need to replace the sound card and just disable the onboard audio. ;)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

I figured out the cause of the problem. I think the microphone/headphone jack had a short. When you plug into this jacks it is supposed to silence the speaker. Well after unplugging, it stopped working after that

Check to make sure that the very tip end of the headphone jack hasn't broken off and is still lodged all the way down in the bottom of the female connector. (It's a real bear to get out when it does).