Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I use another Wireless Router to make my computer wireless?

• Please log in to reply

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I'll make this as simple as possible. I have a wireless router that I use in my home network and works great. G band to make it specific. I am putting together a computer out of some older parts just so that I can have a streaming media center hooked up to my television and maybe brouse the net on my big flat screen tv once in awhile.

Well I don't want to fork out any more money than I have to so I don't want to buy a wireless card for the desktop media center if I don't have to.

But I do have another wireless router sitting in a drawer that is not being used.

Is there anyway that I can take the 2nd wireless router, hook it up per say via ethernet cable to my media center, and be able to turn the computer wireless and hook up the the wireless router that is connected to the internet?

If so how would I go about it. The 2nd wireless router will be working on the same band.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope. if it's a wireless router then that's what it is. to do what you're talking about you'd need a wireless bridge. you can't make a router into a wireless bridge.

if your currently used router has wireless capabililties then you'll just want to get a wireless card for the media computer

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What are the name and model numbers of the two routers? It's possible, but the routers have to be able to be set to a wireless bridged mode. If your router supports it, it can be done. I have that set up in my bedroom. The main router is in the living room and the secondary router is in my bedroom hooked up to a laptop that is hooked up to a 32 in flat screen tv via hdmi cabel. :D

If your router doesn't support it there is a possibility that you can still do it by installing third party firmware in the router or routers.

That's what I had to do.

This is what you want to do, right? post the name model numbers of the two routers and I will try to point you in the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails

• wireless_bridge.png