Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with a decision

• Please log in to reply

jakedavis104

jakedavis104

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I'm getting a new computer for gaming,(world of warcraft) and was stuck between a better video card (current video card ATI radeon HD 5450 - 1g) or upgrading my ram from 4gb of ram to 8gb. Please help!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
There's no point having 8GB RAM unless you're running a 64-bit version of Windows.
32-bit Windows can only use up to 4GB max, any extra will be ignored.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi jakedavis104,

Besides the point mentioned above; 4GB is more than enough for all current games and, depending on the rest of the computer, a better graphics card will give you a bigger performance boost.

Hope to help,

Mythio

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
I agree with posts #1 and #2, make sure the PSU in the new computer can provide adequate power for any potential card you may purchase and I suggest you ignore the minimum system requirements and have a PSU that is the recommended suggestion for the card, use a PSU calculator to be sure http://www.corsair.c...er/default.aspx

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Video card for sure, pay close attention to the connectors on any new video card and make sure the power supply has the correct connectors and ample power like the others have suggested. When dealing with video card I like to stay away from power splitters and molex adapters when ever I can.

jakedavis104

jakedavis104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay thank you so much!!! so video card it is. Just a couple more questions :D how much should I upgrade the video card my options are, ATI radeon HD 5570 - 1Gb, ATI radeon HD 5670 - 1Gb, ATI radeon HD 5750 - 1Gb, and are these upgrades really noticeable? Also is there anything I need to worry about when upgrading it besides power supply(have a 600w)

Edit: another option for a video card is AMD radeon HD 6850 - 1Gb.

Edit #2: okay last question the ram options are, DDR3 1333 memory, and DDR3 1600 memory, and they are the same price what should I go for?

Edited by jakedavis104, 02 December 2010 - 04:51 PM.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi jakedavis104,

The Radeon 6850 is the overall fastest videocard, so that would be probably the best for gaming.
A videocard also depends on the rest of your system though; having a very fast videocard but a slow processor will do you no good in games.
Basically your looking for the perfect mix of components :-)

For your power supply, also make sure the necessary connectors are available, some videocards require 2 6-pin PCI-e power connectors, some 1 8-pin PCI-e etc, this depends on the card.

Hope to help,

Mythio

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Make sure you have enough room in your case, and good air flow as well :D

jakedavis104

jakedavis104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a 6 core AMD phenom 1055t is that good enough??

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi jakedavis104,

That processor should be a good mix with the Radeon HD 6850.
They won't be a bottleneck to each other :-)

Also, listen to D-Berd about the room in your case...I had it happen once that it was to small and you don't want that trust me

Hope to help,

Mythio

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Edit #2: okay last question the ram options are, DDR3 1333 memory, and DDR3 1600 memory, and they are the same price what should I go for?

I can't answer it with 100% reliability, but it would depend on what the board can handle. 1600 is faster that 1333, but if the board can't accept the 1600 it will back it down to the 1333 speed or won't boot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Use the Crucial system scanner to see what Ram it recommends http://www.crucial.c...0101204103538:s you do not have to purchase the Ram from them just write down the details and then shop around for the best deal.