Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB ports not recognizing devices

• Please log in to reply

bru20

bru20

• Pip
  • 4 posts
All USB ports, front and back, are not recognizing anything that is plugged in to them. Devices plugged in do have power. When a device (iPod, external HD, digital camera) is plugged in nothing happens at all, the devices get power but do not show up in Device Manager and no messages show the device is recognized or not (no error messages).

AFAICT this started spontaneously, nothing had been added, subtracted etc. to the system. I always kept those three items plus a printer plugged in to the ports. Yesterday I noticed the external HD wasn't being recognized and then realized all devices were not recognized.

I have tried just about every recommended "fix" I have come across. Device Manager shows all USB ports working properly. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, no help. I checked the BIOS and the USB ports are enabled. I opened up the tower and all connections look fine, I sprayed the Mobo with compressed air, no change. Plug and Play in Services was set to manual so I changed it to automatic and it says it is started.

System is a desktop running XP with SP3. All virus scans are coming up clean but based on the sudden onset reason I feel this may be virus related. Or at the very least it seems like it would be a setting or something that isn't right. Do USB ports really go bad this suddenly with no indicator in Device Manager while still having power?

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What is the name and model # of the pc? Or what type of motherboard? Have tried to update the chipset drivers?

bru20

bru20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sony Vaio PCV-RS610 desktop.

Motherboard is ASUSTek P4SD-VL Chipset: i865P/PE/G/i848P Southbridge: 82801EB (ICH5)

How do I update the chipset drivers? When I went to Intel's site their chipset finder (or whatever it was called) came up with nothing...which doesn't seem good.

I really think this may be a virus. Should I post in one of those forums?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Follow the self help guide here first http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if after doing this you suspect it still may be a malware/virus issue start a new topic at the malware forum, provide them with a link to this thread so that they can see what if any steps you have already undertaken.
Please do not post any malware information on this forum as it is not dealt with here.

x_dmc

x_dmc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You have described the exact same problem I have been having - right down to the model of computer (Sony pcv-rs610). Did you ever get this resolved? I would love to know if there is a solution out there!

chuchuliga

chuchuliga

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the exact same problem with my Sony PCV-RS610. Has anyone found a solution?
I thought the problem might be SP3, so I rolled back to SP2, but none of the USB ports are working, and, in fact, no USB ports seem to be enabled in my BIOS. Ideas anyone?