Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Laptop power problems.

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
About a week ago, my laptop started making crackling noises coming out of the speakers, the cursor would lose control and randomly click. As well as this, the power adaptor was making a clicking noise. I unplugged it for a while. I tried plugging it in a different plug socket, and had the same problem. Later, I plugged the power cable in, and then put the power adaptor in. There was a large bang and the plastic on the adaptor blew off. I ordered a replacement adaptor, believing that to be the problem, which arrived today. It didn't work at first, but then I replaced the fuse in the mains plug. For about 20 minutes or half an hour, it was working fine. Then suddenly the monitor started flashing on and off, the clicking noise in the adaptor came back, the laptop switched off and there was a strong gassy smell.

Considering the moment when the adaptor actually exploded was when it wasn't plugged into the laptop, I'm guessing this is a mains plug problem? What worries me is that my laptop smells very strongly of gas and stuff. I'm guessing that means I've had some bad damage to my laptop. I'm not really sure. Any help?

Thought this was worth a mention, but I don't think it's related. The laptop battery is [bleep]. It's been telling me I need to replace is for a while. But these problems happen with the battery out and even without the laptop plugged in.

HP G60-214EM running Windows 7

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,735 posts
Hi Sephian :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.

About a week ago, my laptop started making crackling noises coming out of the speakers, the cursor would lose control and randomly click. As well as this, the power adapter was making a clicking noise

Without sounding like I am stating the obvious but I think you had/have a serious power issue or perhaps two, the first possibility is prolonged use of the laptop whilst the AC adapter and battery are connected caused the adapter to overheat and explode this has also happened to the battery in some instances, another possibility is that the internal power jack has come away from the MB and shorted out possibly taking the MB and other components with it.
Also just in case you are not aware HP did a recall of certain models a while back because of the onboard Nvidea graphics chip burning out on the MB because of a flaw in the soldering method, but unless there was a warranty on the laptop they would not repair them.
I have provided a link to the disassembly guide for your laptop (notice it is also made for other brands and has other model names and numbers) if you look at page 85 you will see the power connector I have mentioned;
Disassembly and a thorough inspection is my recommendation and whilst you are there clean out any heat trapping dust.