Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is the hard drive screwed up?

• Please log in to reply

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
i'm trying to fix my old computer (its an HP 1240n) and what happened was that the original SATA 7200 hard drive failed. So i bought a used one off ebay (i know), a Western Digital Raptor 10k RPM sata. I get it, hook it p, pop in my windows xp boot cd.. shows the screen that windows is loading all the necessary components, then i get to the screen where i have to choose the partition, and What the..., the hard drive is not even there! (check blue screen)

Then..

I restart the computer and this time, instead of going into windows boot from my dvd-rom, i get the black screen attatched..

So after a few restarts, im in the boot menu and it shows the hard drive as primary device 1 as WDC and everything, but is this a problem with the hard drive or my computer? It's weird that it can detect the hd in the boot menu, but when i get to the XP install partition screen, it doesnt show up!

Attached Thumbnails

• SSPX6975.jpg

Advertisements

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
It wouldn't let me post both of my attatchments, but here is the other black screen..

Attached Thumbnails

• SSPX6974.jpg

Edited by Deven, 03 December 2010 - 03:00 PM.

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Can someone be of assistance??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

It wouldn't let me post both of my attatchments, but here is the other black screen..

Hi there Deven,
I notice in the screen shot that the boot sequence is not set to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second, have you done this?
Just in case you havn`t below is the procedure for doing so;
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL or F8 button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.
Make sure you Format the HDD before installing the OS on it as it will help the installation process.
It is possible you are getting the HDD disk error message simply because it has no drivers or OS on it.

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
the boot sequence is currently
(1) floppy
(2) cd/dvd
(3) hard drive

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

the boot sequence is currently
(1) floppy
(2) cd/dvd
(3) hard drive

According to the specs for your computer it doesn`t have a floppy drive http://reviews.cnet....7-31530172.html
Change the boot sequence to CD/DVD>HDD as suggested and then Format and Partition the HDD before installing the OS.