Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please help a computer moron

• Please log in to reply

TheKey

TheKey

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have a wireless network (an all-in-one Netgear router and modem) and Vonage. I have no problems connecting to my wireless network with my desktop (which connects wirelessly) or using my Vonage phone, but I have problems connecting via either of my laptops. Can someone who is well-versed in networking please help me out? Thanks very much!

Advertisements

TheKey

TheKey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Anyone?

SagoMaurice

SagoMaurice

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The first step would be to disable security on the all in one and try to connect to your router from the laptops once you've done so. If you are able to connect to the wireless router then from the laptops, then next you need to see which security standards are compatible with the laptops and go from there. I would use a WPA2 passphrase for beginners. If not working, go back to wep.

TheKey

TheKey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks, Sago. I changed to WPA2 and my laptops connected without a problem. It's hard to tell if that was the problem, as the laptops do connect intermittently, but I should know for sure over the next couple of days. The message I kept getting referred to an IP problem. Does that make any sense if it was some kind of problem with the security type I was using? Thanks very much for your help!