Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP taking a long time to load after boot up

• Please log in to reply

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have windows XP SP3 that started having problems last month. I did a system restore and then came here to get help on setting things back to right. Now that everything is working again I'm noticing that it takes a very long time for my pc to load at start up. After I boot up my p/c and log in, it takes it about 10-15 minutes to load so that I can do anything at all. This is very frustrating as it should not take so long to boot up. I don't know if something has installed itself on my pc that is bad or what is happening, but I really need to get this fixed please, if anyone can help me out. I'm willing to give you any info that I can to help me to fix this.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Click Start and then Run. In the dialog box type msconfig and press Enter. Check Selective Startup and then click Startup in the drop down menu. Uncheck everything and click Apply > OK. Reboot the computer and see how things go. If there is an improvement repeat the procedure and check the unchecked items, one at a time, rebooting after each one. This will enable you to pinpoint the source of the problem.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks, I've done that, and am slowly making my way back to checking everything. Didn't want you to think that I wasn't working on it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting me know. We are always curious to know how things work out.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have hit a snag, thought I found the problem and set everything back to regular but that one now it still won't load, somehow I got this browser (Flock) to open when nothing else will, getting ready to take it all back off and start again.

On another note, I have discovered that I have a log in for this pc that I never knew existed.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have gone through all of the items in the start up and when I got to the last 5 my pc stopped loading completely and I had to do a hard shut down and bring it up in safe mode to get it to start again. 3 of those items in the start up are with nvidia (the graphic program) (nvcpl, nwiz, and nvmctray) 1 checks out to be real tek (the audio program) (rthdcpl) and the other had no name or info in the first 2 areas just a line of info in the 3rd (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). I attached screen shots of this last one so you could see what I was talking about. I have no idea what this one is or how to remove it completely.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I discovered that the other log in account on my pc was from a program that I had installed, I have now uninstalled that program and removed that log in.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
From what I see in your list there is nothing unusual. The fact that 5 items caused the problem that you mentioned is unusual and may have been caused by the browser that you installed.All the problematic items can be unchecked as they are not essential.

In principle you need only antimalware programs to be checked, and I don't see any installed. It is very important that you have an Antivirus installed.

The checked items are programs that open and run in the background, drawing computer resources even when not in use. Yahoo messanger, for example. If you want it to be loaded as soon as you start your computer then leave it checked. Alternatively, you can leave it unchecked and have your computer running faster, clicking Yahoo Messanger's icon on your desktop, or task bar, when you want it open. Another example is Adobe Reader. If you want a PDF file to open as soon as click it, then leave Adobe checked. If you want your computer to run faster, uncheck it and click the Adobe icon when you want to open a file.

You can always change your mind and recheck unchecked items.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks, I do have antivirus programs on my pc they are at the top of that window that I made ss of, they just didn't show up in the ss, I run Norton and my husband put microsoft security essentials on my pc when I started having problems.

Ahtel.davis

Ahtel.davis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
To solve this problem first scan your pc with updated antivirus.Now your pc has many process that load at the time of booting window,so go to Start->Run and type msconfig,it will give you window,select Startup tab and remove or deselect programs which are not require at staring time.Then restart pc.Your problem will be solved.