Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AV and Spyware Combo Advice

• Please log in to reply

WishBone

WishBone

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Just uninstalled Avira and Spybot S&D since it just slows down my startup too much. I just switched to Microsoft Security Essentials or MSE and it seems to be very light. Currently downloading updates and will perform a scan right after.

What i need is a recommendation for a good anti spyware now that i have MSE as an AV. What would be light and effective alongside MSE? I heard SpywareBlaster by javacool is good is good but i want confirmation from experts before i even try using it with MSE.

Also, is MBAM the best scanner out there? I'm also thinking of installing it just for scanning and not real time protection since i don't have money to pay for the real time protection feature.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Cashes,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Read here just below where it says About Microsoft Security Essentials further down the page.

As for SpywareBlaster you can also install that as well because it does not run in "real time". It uses a list of "bad" ActiveX programs, to decide what to block. It tells your browser what ActiveX programs are not allowed to run, what cookies are not allowed to be downloaded, and adds restrictions to known malicious sites, when you visit them.

Here's an excellent tutorial for you to read.
Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware, Hijackers, and Malware

And for MBAM, the free version is all that you need and it is highly recommended to have this program installed on your computer.

Here are the instructions for use and a site to download it from if needed. Choose the free version.

Malwarebytes free download

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' AntiMalware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
• If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
• Once the program has loaded, select"Perform Full Scan", then click Scan
• The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
• When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
• Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
• When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
• The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Always update MBAM before use.

Have a nice day! :D

Edited by DonnaB, 05 December 2010 - 02:51 PM.

WishBone

WishBone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I was looking for a replacement for Spybot S&D mainly. Just wasn't sure if Spywareblaster is a better choice considering effectiveness and weight.

Also, what would be best to protect me from everything else? I'm starting to lean away from Firefox and am using Google Chrome more often since it doesn't crash as much and its pretty fast. Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster only protects FF and other browsers but never mentioned Chrome.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Cashes,

Lets do a comparison here:

First,

SpywareBlaster (3.05MB)

SpywareBlaster is a killbit program for Microsoft Windows designed to block the installation of ActiveX malware. It has kept that component and expanded, and now can block all kinds of spyware that gets delivered through your Web browser, although its defenses are most useful for Internet Explorer users.

SpywareBlaster blocks the installation of most ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers and other unwanted programs from the user's computer. SpywareBlaster works by blacklisting the CLSID of known malware programs, effectively preventing them from infecting a protected computer. This approach differs from many other anti-spyware programs, which typically offer the user a possibility to "scan" the memory and hard drive of the computer and remove the unwanted software, after it has been installed.

SpywareBlaster also allows the user to prevent privacy hazards such as tracking cookies. Another feature is the ability to restrict the actions of websites known to distribute adware and spyware. SpywareBlaster supports several web browsers, including Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Seamonkey, and Flock.

Found this info here--> SpywareBlaster

SpywareBlaster targets the prevention of and does not have the capabilities to scan for malicious software.

Now,

Spybot S&D (15.65MB)

Spybot Search & Destroy (S&D) is designed to remove. It scans the computer hard disk and/or RAM for malicious software.

Along with spyware and adware detection and disinfection capabilities, Spybot-S&D can repair the Registry, Winsock LSPs, ActiveX objects, browser hijackers and BHOs, PUPS, computer cookies, trackerware, heavy duty, homepage hijackers, keyloggers, LSP, tracks, trojans, spybots, revision, and other kinds of malware. It can also to some extent protect a user's privacy by deleting usage tracks like tracking cookies. Spybot-S&D also includes an "Immunize" feature to block the installation of spyware before it occurs e.g. by modifying the hosts file. Another tool included in Spybot-S&D is a file shredder, for the secure deletion of files. Spybot-S&D is not intended to replace anti-virus programs, but it does detect some common trojans.

Spybot-S&D also recently added an anti-rootkit function.

The TeaTimer module can be optionally enabled, providing a level of active, real-time protection from undesirable registry changes and the like. This comes in the form of pop-ups which alert the user to registry changes, and ask for approval before allowing the change. Registry changes only tend to be made when programs are installed/uninstalled/updated, so random changes can indicate the presence of malicious software.

Unfortunately, the program has the tendency to lock up at times.

Found this info here--> Spybot – Search & Destroy

In this list of Supported Browsers you'll find Google Chrome listed under Webkit based browsers further down the page. Which is a longer list than I imagined!

I myself would rather choose to block than have to remove. That's why I use SpywareBlaster. My other programs are just to maintain a clean machine.

I personally use the following:

SpywareBlaster for the prevention of.
Avast as my AV.
MBAM that I run maybe once or twice a month.
SASW that I run maybe once or twice a month.
WOT (Web of Trust) to prevent me from accessing bad sites that contain malicious content.

And I also use:

TFC (Temporary File Cleaner) I use this weekly and before Defrag
Ccleaner I use this weekly and before Defrag though I never use the registry cleaner option included. It is advised not to use this or any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.
Disk Cleanup Once every 2-3 months just before Defrag
Auslogics Disk Defrag Once every 2-3 months

I also use Firefox as my browser and have never had an issue with it being slow. ;)

I also have Sandboxie installed. Love it!

Also, what would be best to protect me from everything else?

YOU! 99.9% of computers get infected because the user does not practice safe computing. It doesn't matter what browser you use, which AV's or which protection programs that are installed on a computer. The user...you!...is in control of the "input".

Here's an article that will help to educate you on safe computing:

Preventing Malware and Safe Computing

Hope that helps you to decide what to do. Keep me informed of your final decision. :D

Donna ;)

WishBone

WishBone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I used to use Avira+Spybot S&D and have never been affected by any major viruses or spywares. I trust them both however they are a bit heavy on load so i decided to switch. Currently loving MSE.

Thanks for the info guys this will definitely be very helpful.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome Cashes!

I like to recommend MSE for many users as well. I find it to be an excellent AV for folks like my Granny! LOL!

Though Spybot S&D is a great program, it does have issues from time to time and I don't feel confident recommending it to users who are new to computing.

If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :D

Donna ;)