Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on log in

• Please log in to reply

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
problems again with my brother's laptop this time his laptop crashed with a BSOD and everytime he tries to log in he gets a BSOD

tried a bootup in safe mode, it will log in while in safe mode but for about a minute before a BSOD hits

here's the error code

0x00000024 (0x001904fb,0x86a175d0,0x86a171b0,0x81cb79d1)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Explanation of BSOD:

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

First order of business is to check the HD.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I can confirm it's not the laptop that's the problem, it's the external harddrive

it's a Western Digital My passport Essential 320 GB harddrive, I unplugged it from the laptop and got no BSOD

when I plugged it in bam a BSOD appeared

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it looks like you need to somehow run the hd diagnostics on that drive but it would seem you are right.
Good detective work.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
thanks

I went to find a diagnostic program for the drive but didn't see anything, that and when the drive is plugged in the BSOD comes up

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Western Digital Lifeguard and honestly if you can bootup the system into windows.
Then connect the external do you get a BSOD then?
If not then try running the windows version of the WD Lifeguard program.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
to answer your question yes happens everytime

I'll download the program and run it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Last test is to try to connect it to another system and see if the issue happens then. If so then I would suggest replacement of the hd.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
tried on my desktop computer and again BSOD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then I would agree the external hd is bad.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
ah i see, I'll inform my brother on this finding, thanks anyhow for the help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and let us know what the final outcome is. It may help someone else later with the same issue.