Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to "Save" internet Files".

• Please log in to reply

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi everyone, this is my first time on this site so please excuse me if I don't put my question correctly.
Up until a few weeks ago, before downloading any file or programme from the internet I would always click on "Save" first and once the file was saved in "My downloads" file I would then scan it with AVG just to make sure it was not hiding any nasty surprises. Now I find that the only way I can download any required file or programme is to click on "Run".
When clicking on "Save" the info box just goes grey, the screen goes white and then reverts back to the previous screen offering the option to "Run" or "Save".
I have just spent nearly fifty pounds on a so called computer expert who tried for nearly two hours to solve this annoying problem only to be beaten and then charge me for the pleasure.
If anyone could help to solve this I would be very grateful.
Regards Graham.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Essential piece of info missing: Which web browser are you having the "Save" problem with?

It matters because it might or might not be a browser-specific problem, and that will affect the possible solutions we can suggest.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 04 December 2010 - 05:35 AM.

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Sorry about that :D I run Windows XP Pro with Sp3,32 bit and I use Windows Explorer 8.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Open IE 8 and click Tools > Internet Options > Programs. Click on Manage Add-Ons and right click, one after the other, all those that are marked Enabled and disable them. Try to download a file now. If successful, start to enable the disabled add-ons, one at a time, until you find the one that cause the problem. If you find it, delete it.

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks to those who have replied to this and offered your advice but sadly it is not the answer as it still will not allow me to save before run, so hopefully if anyone out there has another idea I would be very grateful.
Regards
Graham.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Would you mind installing Google Chrome just for testing if downloads can be saved with it? You can always remove it if you want. This will tell us if the problem is with IE 8 or somewhere else.

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi Skeptic,
Thanks for your reply and yes it will allow me to save in Chrome but not IE8 so any idea where I go to now?
Regards
Graham.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download and run (install) IE 8.0 from here. XP will remove the old installation and install IE 8.0 afresh. This may solve the problem you have.

Ahtel.davis

Ahtel.davis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This problem is either because of virus or browser problem.First update your antivirus and then scan full pc and still you facing problem then uninstall your current browser and re install it or install any other browser.

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
To those who are helping me especially Skeptic, I'm sorry but still no good. I have tried reloading IE 8 but makes no difference as I am still unable to save file before running, so any further ideas would be welcome.
Regards
Graham :D

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I do not know what the problem is. Had I been in your position I would consider changing to Google Chrome or to FireFox. Both are exellent browsers. Personally I stick to IE 8.0 because with the others I have problems, sometimes, surfing into sites written in my language (Hebrew).