Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac won't recognise miniDV camera

• Please log in to reply

daniel.barron

daniel.barron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

Just got a new Macbook Pro, 13inch. We want to use it to edit films but so far we cannot get the Mac to recognise the video camera. The camera is a Canon XM1 (GL1 in the US) mini dv and it is connected with a firewire. When we plugged it in it does not even appear in the finder and Adobe Premiere does not recognise it either.... I've tried searching for Canon drivers but they do not exist for this model or the updated version.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi daniel.barron :D
I don`t have a Mac myself so I did some research and found a couple of options for you try;
click on the blue apple at the left top corner > about this mac > more info

click on firewire and see it the system profiler recognize the device you plugged into.

if that camera is detected, then just fire up your iMovie and switch the button under the black screen area to camera icon instead of scissor icon.
make sure your camera is on vtr / playback mode and not in camera mode.

if camera or other device is not detected, check using other cable first, and if it still not mounted, visit apple and let them check it for you, or

For most situations, a restart is sufficient. If the computer has stopped responding, try each one of these steps, one by one. Test in between steps to see if it has worked. If one step works, don't worry about the next, as you're up and running! Only go on to reset the SMC if you've tried all of the steps listed here and the computer still isn't working.

1. Force Quit (Option-Command-Escape)
2. Restart (Control-Command-Power)
3. Force Shut Down (press the power button for 10 seconds)

Only perform an SMC reset on the computer if none of the above steps resolved the situation. If this is the case, see below for instructions on locating the reset button or key combination for your model of computer. If your computer is earlier than the models listed here, see "Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)" or "PowerBook: Resetting Power Management Unit (PMU)".

MacBook, MacBook Pro

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

I hope one of the above helps you get sorted and let us know how it works out for you.