Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format Q?

• Please log in to reply

jonesnewton

jonesnewton

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I am in need of some help.
I have an old Compaq laptop which originally had Win 98 installed, but I got XP put on it, but that proved to be too much for it to handle. I now have Win ME to replace it, but I cannot seem to delete the XP version?? I tried to format © it but it will not let me?
When I try to load ME it says it is running, but nothing happens?

I assumed like XP, when you put in CD it asks a few Qs whether you want to do this or that, but this does not? Is it because I want to go the other way, I mean downgrade from XP to ME??

Any ideas how to install ME on this comp, I want my child to start to use a comp so this would be a good start.

Thanks in advance..

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The answer is the same as the one I gave - on Tech Support Guy = where you posted exactly the same question.
HERE
http://forums.techgu...-format-xp.html

jonesnewton

jonesnewton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi
yes I posted it a few times, needed advice.
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By using 2 different Tech support sites you can run the risk of having conflicting advice given and that can lead to a system being made unusable or unstable.
If you would like help from the other site then please request from a Administrator or Moderator that this topic be closed. If you would like GTG to help then please ask for the other topic to be closed. Thank you

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To install win ME you have to format the hard disk first, using DOS. You have to go all the way, deleting existing partitions, creating new partitions, setting one as primary, and only then run the format command. When the partitions are set and formatted you will be able to install Win ME. Have a look herefor instructions. When finished, you will have a fast-running computer because the resources needed to run ME are a lot less then needed to run XP.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The Skeptic
I fully realise you cannot know but already posted the same answer on the other site to which I referenced his post.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 December 2010 - 01:12 PM.

jonesnewton

jonesnewton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Both, sorry for any problems caused.

I have tried to use the previous method, but firstly I cannot get the F10 button to do anything on the welcome screen and later on it says the version on comp is newer than CD, so a restart is needed, but that does not work? Maybe the CD I have does not work correctly, tho it was the one that was used to install it.
Reading thro Skeptic post it seems i need a Bootable CD which I thought I had, so I need to investigate where to find this?
As for the data I have copies of it so no worries there, just would like to sort it and be able to use this old comp.

Thanks again

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry this is no use I am too busy to be swtiching from one site to another to answer your posts.
I will leave both and you can decide which you are pursuing with whoever answers.

jonesnewton

jonesnewton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry to upset you, I just wanted help, not an argument.

Skeptic replied on this forum so what is your problem?
You saw my duplicate post and commented to that.
I am not asking you to switch sites, just keep to one, but which one??.

I am grateful for all help, so if you would help I am grateful.

Innos

Innos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
You need to press F10 continuously until you get on BIOS (press it after you see your pc starting and before you see the windows logo starting). After making it there, you must select as 1st boot device the CD/DVD ROM. You did it? Now press save and exit. Your pc will restart and if you have the windows cd on it will start the proccess you want for formating.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the XP CD method doesn't work for you then you can create a DOS bootable CD. Hereis a link from which you can download a DOS ISO file from which you can burn a bootable DOS CD. You can download the newest version but it really doesn't matter because the commands that you need for repartitioning and formatting are available on all versions. Please note that ISO file burning is somewhat different to other files. A very good and simple program for burning ISO files is BurnCDCC (should be in my list below), which is dedicated to this purpose.

It's been quite a long time since I used DOS but as far as I remember you have to start with FDISK command. Delete all old partitions, create new partition(s), make one of them "active" and run the FORMAT command. when, done, install Win ME.

jonesnewton

jonesnewton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi
I have managed to get it insatlled, thanks for your help, it was fun, frustrating and interesting, now reloading drivers, so we see what happens?

I did try office 2003, but it did not like that, so is there another version I could try?
I read about compatibilty mode, but not sure?

A side Q?
What is the next OS from ME up to XP?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

Hi
I have managed to get it insatlled, thanks for your help, it was fun, frustrating and interesting, now reloading drivers, so we see what happens?

I did try office 2003, but it did not like that, so is there another version I could try?
I read about compatibilty mode, but not sure?

Office 2002 is the last version of Office that works in Windows ME.
Compatibility mode doesn't exist in ME.

What is the next OS from ME up to XP?

The release order went thus:

Windows 95, 98, 98SE, Windows 2000, Windows ME, XP, Vista, Windows 7.

Therefore, XP is the next one up. As you've found out, your machine doesn't like it.
Do be aware that Windows ME isn't supported by Microsoft any longer, most modern programs don't run on it any more.

jonesnewton

jonesnewton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK Thanks.

One last Q?
Can you load XP, but a compact version like it offered in ME, so it runs light?

Thanks.
Also.
Neil Jones :D

Innos

Innos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
There are 2 versions of windows XP. It's Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Proffesional Edition. Now, the home edition is a bit bit lighter than prof. edition. If you want your kid to play, install home edition, if you want to do your job on the pc, then install prof. edition.