Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help im stupid

• Please log in to reply

dumbgirl2010

dumbgirl2010

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hello please help! i litrally use my comp for facebook and thats it so i have no idea about them.
i turn my laptop on and it has a black scream with white writing on sayin
Broadcom UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build082) v2.0.6
Copyright © 2000-2004 Broadcom corporation
copyright © 1997-2000 intel corporation
All rights reserved
PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable

PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
Operating System not found.

please help! what do i do>??

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi dumbgirl2010,

Don't worry, you're not automatically dumb if you can't figure it out when it comes to computer, its a skill like all other jobs and hobbies :-)

The instructions below might look challenging, but are quite easy. It's just about pressing a few buttons :-)
If you don't fully understand something, or are not sure about the choices your laptop gives u compared to what I told u, Ask first.
That is what we are here for after all!

What the problem is most likely, is that your laptop is trying to boot from the network card. However since you have no network cable in it when u start it up, it says it cant find any windows.

What type of laptop do you have? If you can tell me the brand and if possible the type I can give more detailed instructions, but in general the solution should be:

Step 1:
When you boot your laptop, you have to press a button to get into setup (or the BIOS, its the same thing).
It should tell you what button it is somewhere during the startup process, just keep an eye out for text like "Press *** to enter setup/BIOS" or similar.
Normally it should be either the F2, F8 or DEL button on your laptop.

Step 2:
After you press that, the laptop will boot into the BIOS (setup).
Here look for the text that says "Setup Defaults" or something similar, press the button linked to that choice (in most cases you will have to press F9)

Step 3:
After that you want to "Save and Exit" (Normally by pressing F10)

When you have done this, your laptop will reboot and should boot normally again.
Let me know how it goes or if you don't understand something.

Hope to help,

Mythio

dumbgirl2010

dumbgirl2010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
mithao thank you for replying, i have a acer aspire 5630 if that helps??? i done as you said and it turned itself off and then back on to that same screen again... any ideas??

dumbgirl2010

dumbgirl2010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
sorry how arrogant of me, i mean mythio

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi dumbgirl2010,

Hmm, your problem might be more serious then. It could be that your hard drive is malfunctioning or the cable connected to the hard drive has come loose.
Did you drop the laptop or did it get hit by anything lately?

To make sure I want to check what the BOOT order of the laptop is. The boot order is the order in which devices in the laptop are checked for bootable operating systems like windows.
Normally a laptop will boot from the CD/DVD player, hard drive, network, USB and maybe some others.

You can check this by:

1.) Go into setup/BIOS, by pressing F2
2.) Go to the BOOT menu, using your arrow keys
3.) Look up the boot sequence or boot order and write it down
4.) Post it back here

Hope to help,

Mythio

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to maybe add something..Mythio it may be that by default the boot on network is setup. You may have to manually go in and take it out of the boot sequence. Also may be a setting to allow to boot to network which may need to be disabled.
:D
Just a suggestion. ;)

dumbgirl2010

dumbgirl2010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
1. IDE 0:
2. IDE 2: optiarc dvd rw ad-7590A-(
3. USB FDD
4. Network Bo Broadcom MBA
5. USB HDD
6. USB KEY
7. USB CDROM

erm the laptop has been dropped a while back but to be honest i not used it in a while, and decided to get this sorted finally.
thanjs for helping me

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

4. Network Bo Broadcom MBA

There's the problem. :D
Mythio is really good so I'm sure he can help you with this.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The boot order looks ok.

A couple things.
Is there a spot to disable the boot portion of the broadcom?
Is the hard drive being detected by the bios?
Last, is there a spot to load bios defaults?

dumbgirl2010

dumbgirl2010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i hope so cos i understand nothing:@ thanks guys

dumbgirl2010

dumbgirl2010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
123runner, ?????????? i understood none of those questions:@ need more simpler terms im afraid.......

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi dumbgirl2010,

I'm afraid your problem has nothing to do with the boot order.
Since in your entire boot order there is no mention of a hard disk, and the first position in the boot order is empty, it looks like your laptop doesnt recognize your hard drive anymore.
This could be because the cable to the hard drive is loose, the hard drive is broken or there is a different problem with the hard drive.

The networkcard is in the right place in the boot order, or better said it doesnt really matter where it is as long as its after the CD/DVD drive and the hard drive, which it seems to be.

So basically, it seems your laptop doesn't think there is a hard drive in it anymore which could be because it was dropped and the cable came loose or the hard drive moved a bit.

There are 2 things that can be tried, but since you know little of computers I would recommend getting a friend who knows a bit more to do this:

1. Insert the windows DVD in the DVD drive, the computer will boot setup, choose to install windows but DO NOT let the installation start or do any kind of changes, this is just to check if windows installation finds a hard drive to install windows on. It will tell you if it does or not, either way cancel the installation after you find out, before anything is formatted or changed.

2. Open the hard drive compared on the bottom of the laptop and see if the hard drive is still in position and connected.

If you know no one who could help you with this, perhaps going to a PC repair shop would be an option?

I can't really think of anything else you can do at this point, but ill ask rshaffer61 to have another look and look around some more myself for a solution.

Hope to help,

Mythio

dumbgirl2010

dumbgirl2010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
im alone and have o one to help me so ill try myself if all else fails ill sell it for spare parts or something, will prob cost a bomb in a repair shop:(
so wen do i put the disk in? do i turn it off again first then turn on and put it in?

thanks again for ur help

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi dumbgirl2010,

To try option one, put the DVD in the drive and then reboot. At some point you should got the message "To boot from DVD press a key...". Press a key and wait for windows setup to start.
The first option will just make sure what the problem is though, it will not fix anything.
The second option will be needed to fix the problem, if its possible.

If you are sure you want to do this I can help talk you through it BUT

1. It WILL void any warranty left
2. It could go wrong, if anything in the laptop is damaged you can do more harm than good

That being said, I want u to understand that it could fix the problem, but it is risky to do if you have no computer knowledge.

Let me know what you want to do, and if you wanna do option two a picture of the bottom of your laptop would really help me out.
Try as detailed as possible, or make several smaller ones with a phone/camera and attach them to your post or if they are to big upload them elsewhere and put the links here. (like Imageshack)

Hope to help,

Mythio