Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is drive Q and how do I remove it?

• Please log in to reply

aries_blond

aries_blond

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am running Windows XP Pro, IE 8, and have a Acer AM5100 dual processor. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a Drive Q had been put under My Computers. What is that and how can I remove it?

Advertisements

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi aries_blond,

Did you install office 2010 (beta) a few weeks ago as well?
It is rumoured to pop up when installing office beta.
It is needed for office though, so I would leave it alone.

Hope to help,

Mythio

aries_blond

aries_blond

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks so much! If I remove Office 10, will it go away? My Office 10 expired anyway. I can't copy anything to my DVD-Rom now.

I have an older Gateway Solo 9150 laptop. It has Windows XP Home edition on it and IE 8. I tried using my flash drive to enter AVG 10 as I'm also having connection problems (seems something is blocking it). The flash drive is not recognized by the two ports - what to do?

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi aries_blond,

I tried using my flash drive to enter AVG 10 as I'm also having connection problems (seems something is blocking it). The flash drive is not recognized by the two ports - what to do?

Can you try to explain this a bit better? What exactly is the problem?

As for Office 2010, yes you can just uninstall it via control panel -> uninstall a program -> Microsoft Office.
Be sure that all is removed though, I've heard that otherwise drive Q won't disappear.

Hope to help,

Mythio

aries_blond

aries_blond

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I loaded free AVG 10 or free AVG 2011 and Malicious Software Screener to my flashdrive to load on my laptop since I have intermittent cable connection problems with my laptop connecting to my computer (my cable company is always "working on a problem which will be fixed soon"). The USB ports do not recognize the flashdrive as it says "there are no working devices". Do I have to download the devices for my laptop for the USB ports or is there a way for the laptop to recognize the USB ports? All the ports state they are "working fine".

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi aries_blond,

Does the USB drive work in a different computer?

It seems to me the laptop might be to old to recognize the USB drive you are using. Did it work on the laptop before?

I fail to see what AVG 2011 and Malicious Software Screener have to do with a cable connecting your computer to your laptop though...I also don't understand what the cable company has to do with that?

Mythio

Edited by Mythio, 04 December 2010 - 05:08 PM.

aries_blond

aries_blond

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's what I thought. The laptop is too old to recognize the flashdrive (yes, it does work in my desktop). I tried to copy the info to my desktop CD-Rom RW disk, but now I can't find my drive to copy it to on my desktop because of that new Q drive.

Mythio

Mythio

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi aries_blond,

Normally it is F: or G:.
Can you make a screenshot of the screen you get after clicking "My Computer"?
It should be on there somewhere.

Use ALT + Prt Scr to make a screenshot and use paint to paste it and save it, then upload it with your post.

Hope to help,

Mythio