Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reasonable Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

aidor

aidor

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Recently made a post on these forums wondering if my current build was worth upgrading, since then been looking around for a few parts. Any advice would be great as always.

My Current Build:
  • Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G iP31 Socket 775 5.1 channel audio ATX Motherboard
  • Kingston 2GB 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Unbuffered Non-ECC CL6 1.8V
  • Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz Socket 775 2MB Cache Retail Box Processor
  • Western Digital WD1600AAJS 160GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM
  • PNY 8400GS 256MB DDR2 VGA DVI out PCI-E Graphics Card
  • Zalman CNPS7500-ALCU LED Socket 478, 775, AM2, 754, 939 & 940 CPU Cooler
  • Sony AD-5240S 24x DVD±RW & DL SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
  • 460 Watt PSU

Was going to add the following:

• Gigabyte GT 430 OC 1GB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
  • Kingston 1GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Unbuffered Non-ECC Cl6 1.8V

Im not an expert with what im looking for but just want a decent graphics card that will hopfully play games such as World of Warcraft on high settings with ease, would these two components be a reasonable choice for upgrading?

Cheers

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Consider adding another 2 X 1GB sticks of Ram as it is always advisable to purchase and fit them in matching pairs.
The card is ok but make sure your present PSU is compatible with it, it may need a 6 or 8 pin connector from the PSU.

aidor

aidor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
think i remember reading somewhere that the graphics card requires something like a 450Watt PSU, and i have a 460Watt PSU, if this was the case would that be fine or cutting it too close?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Make and model of PSU?

Also for RAM upgrade, see if you can source the same 2GB stick to add in, that would be the best in my opinion. (4GB total)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Make and model of PSU?

Also for RAM upgrade, see if you can source the same 2GB stick to add in, that would be the best in my opinion. (4GB total)

From what info I can find on the card it does not require a separate power supply from the PSU it is direct from the MB, this would take away the worry about needing a 6 or 8 pin connector from the PSU + the power requirements being stated are as low as 300W, http://www.scan.co.u...-d-sub-dvi-hdmi I recommend you read the reviews as you may be disappointed with the cards performance playing high end/graphic intensive games.

Good catch regarding the Ram Troy, as the MB only has two dimm slots to achieve the maximum you would obviously need 2 X 2GB sticks to get to 4GB http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148853 is this the same Ram as you have fitted now?

EDIT: Some GFX card reviews
http://www.futuremar...igabyte_inno3d/

Edited by phillpower2, 05 December 2010 - 04:07 AM.

aidor

aidor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
cheers for the advice on the RAM, will get a 2GB stick instead. another little thing, a friend of mine has a graphics card with worse specs than the one i mentioned and he can run WoW and Starcraft at about 70 fps average, yet the reviews for this card only say its capable of running some HTPC stuff and flash games? O.o

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Best thing for you to do is have a look at feedback from people who have actually purchased a variant of the card;
http://www.newegg.co... 430 &x=18&y=33 ( A USA site I know but very helpful when looking for feedback and information)
The 450 version of the card is more expensive but it is also more suiting to your requirements.

aidor

aidor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for all the advice, gave me good points to have a think about, i think i will be getting this card though, at the end of the day im mostly playing WoW and i think this will run it at max settings easily enough and suits my budget well. definitely going to be getting another stick of 2GB RAM too, thanks again. ;-)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are welcome, enjoy the new card and the additional Ram which will help all tasks :D