Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall of XP - several .dll missing.

• Please log in to reply

thomkat

thomkat

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

I've just reinstalled XP on my other desktop. During installation, it said several .dll files could not be found. I skipped them and installed anyway since I did not know what else to do.

I have now downloaded the missing .dll files and unzipped them in my system32 folder but Windows is a bit odd.

There is nothing on my desktop or start menu. No IE icon or anything. I downloaded the IE8.exe on another computer but cannot seem to run it (When I click run, a black command screen flashes up then disappears, that's it).

Any help appreciated!

Kate

Edited by thomkat, 04 December 2010 - 01:58 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It might be your XP cd that was damaged or your cd-rom that is dirty or damage or your memory stick (one of them) is defective and files (.dll) could not be copied from the CD to the memory before your installation began.

thomkat

thomkat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I just tried using my husband's XP installation CD (with my key) and the same thing is happening....

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It is then either your Memory that is damage or your Hard Disk is malfunctioning.

At what part of the process do you get the error message "dll file could not be found"

This process:

[attachment=46440:xp.JPG]

or during this part:

[attachment=46441:xp2.JPG]

If during the first one it will mean it is your memory that is not good, during this process setup files are copied to your memory (ram) only.

if during the second then it is your hard disk that is damage, during this process files are copied and installed on your hard drive.

thomkat

thomkat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oooh, thank you. It's during the first part. Would changing the RAM help then do you think?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you have more then one stick of ram then you should test them one by one to find which one is damage.

You will need a program like MEMTEST86 bootable iso image that you can burn on a CD and then boot from it

Find it here: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

If you only have one stick of ram then replacing it should help solving your problem.

Ahtel.davis

Ahtel.davis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This problem is created because your XP cd is damaged or corrupted.The OS which you installed is not proper and because of some corrupted file you can't work properly and get error.So now Take another CD of XP which worked perfect and re install Xp OS so that you can work perfectly without error.