Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot boot. (startup repair loop, tried everything). PLEASE help!

• Please log in to reply

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello!
So i got my sisters NETBOOK (OMG) to fix.
I will start from the beginning.
The comp is a few months old Samsung N220 Plus with Windows 7 starter SNPC OA and with no CD/DVD ROM.

THE ONLY REASON I WONT DO A CLEAN INSTALL IS BECAUSE THE NETBOOK HAS A LOT OF DATA ON IT THAT SHE NEEDS TO SAVE, SCHOOLWORK, PICTURES FROM AROUND 10 YEARS AGO AND SO ON. SO THAT LEAVES ME WITH NEEDING TO RECOVER THE DATA FIRST AND THEN DO THE CLEAN INSTALL.

When i boot up the notebook, it shows me the message:
"SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 2: SAMUNG HM250HI - (S1)
WARNING: Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive.
A failure may be imminent."
Press F1 to continue.

So i do.

It takes me to the startup repair, which it unfortunately wont complete. It simply says "a hard disk problem is preventing windows from starting".
And i have only the options to finish and shut down/restart computer.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED FOR THE PAST 2 DAYS:

1. F8-boot with ALL different modes (safe, last known good config etc.) Same - it goes to the startup repair anyways.

2. All the options under "view advanced repair options" or something like that.
None of them got me anywhere, ofcourse i tried different things with the CMD.
a. tried to run explorer.exe through cmd.
b. tried to run iexplore.exe through cmd (in order to navigate to the partitions after.)
c. tried different bootsect repairs.
d. tried chkdsk
The problem was that even if i navigated to different partitions, it kept saying the directory doesnt exist (for example C:\Program Files or C:\WINDOWS even.)
And YES, im sure the OS is installed on C.

3. Made a Win 7 repair disk
a. using Win2Flash
b. using the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool
Ended up with being offered all the same repair options as without the repair CD. I did try repairing from the Repair Disk though, just cause i thought it might help since it was booted from the external USB not the HDD itself. No luck.

4. Installed Win XP on a 4GB USB stick (obviously custom-coded some files in the i386 folder by extracting them from the iso, converting, editing and later rejoining with the ISO again)and tried to boot the netbook with that. Didnt work, the laptop wont boot it even if the USB has been selected as first boot device.

5. Tried to disable SMART but there is nothing about it in bios options :S:S:S

6. Tried running the Samsung Recovery 4 that is alt-f4 by default on that netbook, guess where i got with it?
NOWHERE, it stays hanging to the "please wait" at the beginning and never does anything.

I have surely tried to do several different things apart from the above but i simply dont remember what they were since it is all REALLY frustrating. I think you understand that every process i have tried in order to recover the data, takes some time. Yes, there are only 6 points of action mentioned but yea, they took a nice chunk of my sleeptime :D

And please do NOT tell me that the HDD is actually not spinning or something, i simply:
a: Dont want to believe it
b: Im sure i am one of the 75% of the cases where WIN 7 is mistaken and gives the S.M.A.R.T error even though the HDD is perfectly fine.

I might have left something out in this post, just please guys, try to figure out some more ways i could try and bypass the repair thingie. I only need to access the data for 1 startup, copy it either over the network or a flash drive. I will check this thread exactly 9 hours from the time of posting it (im saying cause i live in baltics where the time difference is probably much different from servers here ;)), i hope you guys have ideas. Thank you so much and ill probably dream about this thread and/or have nightmares of how a big number 7 is chasing me -.-

Advertisements

shreddersdr

shreddersdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
anyone please? I am actually desparate cause my goal is to get it done by todays evening, she needs to go to school with it tomorrow -.-

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If the hard drive is physically failing, no amout of fiddling with software is going to fix it.

--

If it has a SATA hard drive, remove it, attach it to this little $20 adapter:

Posted Image
(Click the image for more info).

and then to a USB port on a working computer. Now cross your fingers and attempt to copy her data and pic files off onto something else with Windows Explorer.

--

If that fails, you're next option would be to try a data recovery service like http://www.ontrack.com (Note that this can get expensive).

--

When you do finally get her computer back up and running, show her how to do a backup ... or at least how to copy her important stuff off onto something else, (CD/DVD, USB key, external HD, online storage, anything). Oh, and keep a copy offsite as well, (think fire, theft, etc.).