Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death Help!

• Please log in to reply

Shikia

Shikia

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've been having this issue with the blue screen of death for awhile. Whenever i play second life and am browsing the web at the same time it will happen.

I'm posting below the WhoCrashed log. Pls help as i'm completely lost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: BELL-920C06D277
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 2, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom™ 9500 Quad-Core Processor AMD586, level: 16
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 2146938880 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2048081920

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 04/12/2010 22:14:17 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120410-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x2A2C0B)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD2B4C0B, 0xFFFFFFFFAED9893C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 197.77
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 197.77
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 197.77 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sat 04/12/2010 21:47:46 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120410-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x2A2C0B)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD2B4C0B, 0xFFFFFFFF9CFAE93C, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 197.77 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sat 04/12/2010 11:10:56 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120410-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD2B4C0B, 0xFFFFFFFFA3A7793C, 0x0)

On Fri 03/12/2010 12:16:17 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120310-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD2B4C0B, 0xFFFFFFFFA483B93C, 0x0)

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 4 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 197.77 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

I hope this gives a idea of what i'm up against.

Thanks very much in advance.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Shikia...

Your crashes appear to be caused by your video drivers. According to the report, you are running on Windows 2000 drivers while you list your operating system as XP in your profile.

Try updating your graphics card drivers and see if that clears the issue.

wannabe1

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
And additionally, if wannabe1, does not mind me coming in on the thread, you are running XP with SP2.
Support for XP SP2 finished in July this year. You will not receive any security updates.
Download and install SP3 as soon as you resolve this issue.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 December 2010 - 07:18 PM.

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you i'll try and see if i can get the correct copy of the driver from the nvidia website, i had been using windows update till now.

I'm having to use service pack 2 as service pack 3 completely messes up my internet connection.

When i update to SP3 i constantly get this error message with my speedtouch 330 usb moden:
Could not create entry (""+speedtouch connection+"")

I haven't actually found anything via the internet that will solve this issue yet either but if you guys have come across this before i'd appreciate any help :-)

Edited to add:

I've installed the latest Nvidia driver and will let you know how it goes for me know.
Thank you for your help :D

Edited by Shikia, 05 December 2010 - 04:16 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Post the model of the speedtouch please

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It's the Thompson SpeedTouch TM 330 USB ADSL Modem, it's what Virgin Media gave me when i first got my broadband through them a few years back. I'd never had any issues with it until XP wanted me to update to SP3.

If you need any more info than that let me know, though you might have to suggest how i find what you need lol.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://www.qualityne...sl-drivers.html

You are, if you do not mind me telling you at far greater risk running SP2 than the inconvenience of finding the USB drivers for SP3
Did the Thomson330 not come with the driver CD.
If it did and it does not include an XP driver, then I would get in touch with Virgin and ask THEM if they HAVE the driver, sometimes a new CD has been issued with later models to include the driver. OR sometimes the CD did include the driver but simply would not run with SP3., to load the CD and install the driver.

If that is for some reason a no go - here is the driver to try
http://www.qualityne...sl-drivers.html

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes the modem came with a driver cd which i installed but i've never been able to actually update the driver before, i've checked the website it sent me too through the cd but i could never find anything to do with my modem. I recently checked the Virgin Website too and the only update i could find was for Mac or Vista.

I'll try the website you gave me and update my driver that way.

Edited to add:
Ok tried that driver on there and it told me the one i'm using is newer than that one so i'm not sure. I'll try ringing Virgin tomorrow morning and see what they say.

Ok just checked the Virgin website again and i just noticed under the driver it says other windows versions too so i'll give that one a go and let you know if it worked

Edited by Shikia, 05 December 2010 - 02:49 PM.

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok checked the version on the website with my own version and they are both the same, so maybe Virgin can't offer me a better update if they don't have it on their website?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The only way this is going to be resolved is:
1. Did the Nvidia update solve the original problem.
IF so, as that was the main concern
2. Install SP3 and then post the details from network connections for the speedtouch and check device manager and tell us what is shown there.

Advertisements

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes the Nvidia update seems to have fixed the issue. If it happens again though i'll let you know, i wonder why my windows update installed the wrong driver strange.

Ok i'll update to SP3 now and then post what is shown on my network connections and device manager.

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok so i updated to SP3 and checked my network connections and device manager, the device manager looked normal nothing out of place i could see. My network connection though was a different matter the actual dialup speedtouch connection which appears when i'm still using SP2 is there but when i updated to SP3 it disapeered.

I'm going to add below a image of my network connections to show you the piece that is supposed to be there. Plus the error message i get when i try and open my speedtouch connection.

I did notice though that the LAN connection seemed to be connected but when i open it up nothing is being recieved or sent, why is it saying it's connected?

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedtouch Connection error.jpg
  • Network Connections.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The automatic update driver on Windows is not as reliable as selecting it yourself. That is probably why it found the wrong Nvidia driver.
I am only online checking my emails I will reply to the speedtouch matter later today, if no one else has picked the thread up

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 December 2010 - 08:51 AM.

Shikia

Shikia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok thank you Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please send what exactly is shown on your network connections NOW you have SP3.- rather than what was shown with SP2.