Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer 3100 Keyboard/Mouse/USB Ports not working

• Please log in to reply

Mac_Quazi

Mac_Quazi

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

I'm working on an Acer 3100 laptop running XP.

Originally the problem was that the screen wouldn't turn on. So i did a little research and found others with the same issue. The solution was to take the battery out and unplug the power cable, hold down the power button for a minute and then re-plug in power and reboot.

This brought back my display, but then the keyboard became unresponsive. Windows booted up fine after this, without mouse pad or keyboard. I tried an external mouse and keyboard but that didnt work either. To test the USB ports, i plugged in a USB memory stick, in 3 out of 4 of them, the red light on the USB stick blinked for a second and turned off. On the last one, the USB light came on and seemed to work, although as no input devices were working I couldn't navigate to the drive and open it.

Upon more research, my initial attempt should have solved all issues, including monitor, mouse and keyboard, but it only solved the monitor problem. It was also suggested to remove the HD and boot so I can get into the BIOS by pressing F2, this didnt work as the keyboard still wouldn't respond. Another suggestion was to remove the RAM and under the RAM will be a jumper labelled J2, which I slide with a screwdriver to reset the BIOS. I removed the RAM, and found the label J2, but couldn't find the jumper switch.

This is supposed to be a known problem with Acer 3100 and to do with a windows update related to a BIOS update. At one point the keyboard responded for a few seconds in Windows but then stopped again. Bear in mind I have rebooted it around 30 times.

Has anyone else come across this issue? Can anyone suggest any ideas please? Thanks in advance :D

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Another suggestion was to remove the RAM and under the RAM will be a jumper labelled J2, which I slide with a screwdriver to reset the BIOS. I removed the RAM, and found the label J2, but couldn't find the jumper switch.

According to what I just read, there should be two pins at J2, which you short-circuit (cross-connect, like with a small screwdriver) to reset the CMOS.

Mac_Quazi

Mac_Quazi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks SpywareDr, for replying. I also read the same thing, but when I looked at it, it was flat, no pins. If I took a pic of what I'm looking at and attach it to my next post, maybe that'll help. I must be missing something??

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Edited by SpywareDr, 06 December 2010 - 04:09 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Yes, a pic of J2 might help.